Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2015, 11:23 PM

You need to find one that your weight you are using if for is in the upper half of it's range and has goes out several digits. This guy goes out to .001g, and will weigh about 10g which I think is about 70 or 80gr, about right for reloading, I have one that reads to .01gr so missing one digit in the conversion is not a problem as the error will not be more than about .03gr. Larry

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Precision-PR...item20f57b4db5
Old 02-27-2015, 11:59 PM

Weighing cases can make a slight difference in extreme spreads, did for me anyway with a small test sample. Variable volume for pressure to build I'm guessing. Unless you are shooting long distance, you may not notice the difference, but at 600 yds you will see some verticle in the groups. I think I've seen 2 - 3% given as a rule before. If your case weight deviation is within that range, it probably won't make a lot of difference. I will be interested to hear your results and if they line up with this.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:23 PM

Many moons ago i bought a 500 bag of WW 22-250 brass.
Remember this is @15 yrs ago so some minor details might have been altered in my old noggin

The bulk weighed @10grams~154grains.
The lightest weighed 9.5grams~146grains and the heaviest 10.5gram~162grains.

With my pet load the standard cases ran 1037m/s~3400fps
The same load in a light case only ran 1022m/s~3350fps
And in a heavy case it ran 1052m/s~3450fps

So a +-50fps spread from nothing but case variation, that will show at 300yds or more!
Old 02-28-2015, 03:45 PM

I just spent some time this morning weighing about 25 empty, trimmed and chamfered and primed cases. All were LC 223. Pretty slow, or I would have weighed more. There was over a 4 grain difference between the lightest and the heaviest. On a small case like the 223, that could have an effect of putting a bullet or two out of the group.

Still haven't decided what digital to buy.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:16 PM
Supporting Member

Default difference

Now that you know some are heavier I'm curious as to whether the volume is different? The normal assumption would be yes it would be, if not then I can't really see it making a difference.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
Now that you know some are heavier I'm curious as to whether the volume is different? The normal assumption would be yes it would be, if not then I can't really see it making a difference.
All materials can have areas of high and low density which doesn't change the size or volume of the case, but will effect the weight.
Enough to matter? I don't know.
Ken.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:30 PM

The best test for me is to weigh a dozen cases and keep them within 1 grain. Then load them and see what happens. I missed good shooting weather when the wind was calm, so now I will wait for favorable conditions.

'After shooting groups with the+ - 1 grain and then load some of the 3-4 grains heavier and see where they group in relationship to the 1 grain groups.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:38 PM

I just talked to my friend. He went out and shot yesterday with about the same results, on small groups by about 1/8" at 100 yards. He fired 6 groups thru a 527 Varmint and a Browning X bolt Varmint.

Now mind you he has had the Browning for some 2 years and could never get it to shoot consistantly under an inch. Just last week he and he son were shooting those gun and `1 1/2" was the best they could do.

He is sold on the process of weighing and has convinced me. By the way he is a very careful hand loader that weighs every powder charge.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:59 AM

Lenard,
Hope you got the answer you were looking for!
Sorry again about the way your thread went.
Regards,Ken.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:40 PM

Ken, I don't mind if the post goes into discussions like we have had here. I will say one thing, I had a some loaded ammo for my other 20 TAC that I weighed. Went out and shot this morning and the results were very good. Group size for the smallest was .270 with two others at. 500 and smaller. One crazy cartridge shot 1" out of the center of the group. I threw the case away, not worth messing with. It is going to take a lot of testing to see how much is gained by having categorized the weights.