Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 08-27-2009, 05:35 PM

Default 17 ah fire forming

What is a good fire forming load, I have 20 gr bullets and for powder I believe I have 4227, 4198 & LIL'GUN, several years ago when I got my 19 Calhoon I was told use the max load, which I did and didn't have any problems. thanks BOB
Old 08-27-2009, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Default my experience

Hey Bob,

With my Contender, I tried 10 gr lil-gun but was piercing primers. It was one recommended load that I found in a search on this site. That said, beware of any loads anyone may offer. Not that anyone would intentionally try to hurt you or anything, just because each rifle is different.

I backed down to 9.5 gr and planned to work up from there, and still pierced primers. Ended up going all the way down to 9.0 gr. of Lil'Gun in my rifle and cases came out fine. If using Lil'gun, you might try 9.0 gr to start and work up.

I think I did a few cases with H4198 but can't remember the exact load I used. My working load with 20 gr Vmax has been 11.6 gr. It nearly fills the case. I don't think you can get enough in there to hurt yourself because of the size of the grains of powder.

Sonny's FF and working load for my rifle barrel was 12.6 gr AA1680. I managed to find some 1680 to try and my goodness is it accurate! I'd definitely try to get the powderhorn to get you a pound of that. That's another FF load that's been highly recommended here.

Charlie
Old 08-27-2009, 09:10 PM

Default Aa1680

I guess I will try the 4198 or the LIL'GUN, POWDER HORN can't get AA powder any more. And that foam cleaner you were using at Thurmont you told me I could get it at WALMART. They got rid of it, LILJA shipped my barrel to BOB GREEN on the 8/19 so I'm a little closer.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:03 AM

I used a mid range book load of H4198 and 25 gr HP's. I think I was mid 11's for powder weight, but that was with 25's. Not a single problem.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 08-28-2009, 11:44 AM

I've been using 11.5 gr of IMR 4227 and 20 gr Vmax
Old 08-29-2009, 12:48 PM

I use 6 grns of unique pistol powder then roll up tissue and twist it in the end why wast good bullets it works well
Old 08-29-2009, 03:23 PM

Default fire forming

I have 4227 & 4198, but no Unique pistol powder? I do have some RED DOT & GREEN DOT, I'll have to look at the burning rate of those, I know RED DOT is pretty hot.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by microgun View Post
I use 6 grns of unique pistol powder then roll up tissue and twist it in the end why wast good bullets it works well
I'm not sure what you mean by " why waste bullets" when I did this with my 19 Calhoon, I loaded the shells with the max load (per Calhoon) and went hunting, the accuracy between fire forming and a load with a formed case was negligible.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:32 AM

Green dot should work seeing how its for target loads but check and see how close the burn rates are. you really don't have any pressure to speak of without the bullet. this is something that todd kindler told me and i also read of several guys on the net doing it. What i meant by waste bullets is that before the fire forming step the case is pretty ugly and i would'ent trust shooting at anything that i actually wanted to hit. The cases come out slightly different one to another until firefoming. Call me anal but i load everything as though the world championship benchrest match was on the line. thats probably why i'm seldom satisfied even with 1/2 or 3/4 " groups. My idea of accuracy is 5 shots in 1/2" at 400yds thats accurate. As far as load a small capacity case to max when they are all different capacity sounds like you might end up with pressure issues.

Last edited by microgun; 08-30-2009 at 12:35 AM.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:12 AM
Supporting Member

Load em up with 4227 and go have a blast shooting.

I doubt very much a 17 AH will wear out anytime soon…. I FF everything I have in a PD down with good success (sometimes better) shooting just like I do with a formed case, it’s the best way to go (for me)….

However I can see the benefit of forming cases with fast powder and tissue or hyd form dies with some of the bigger cartridges and loading up over 300 rounds but for right now it’s a waste of my time when I could be out having fun shooting the real thing making things blow up…

Lilgun should work too but in have never played with it much in the 17 AH....

Go to Hodgdon’s web site and look at their loads…. You will see that either they are conservative or some of us are way over a max load