Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-04-2021, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaz View Post
I hope you guys are wrong about them going out of business. I have a 30 Garin and I ran out of ammo last week, can anyone suggest where to find more ammo.

Qaz
Wait.......30 garin? You mean m1 carbine?
Old 03-04-2021, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejo View Post
Wait.......30 garin? You mean m1 carbine?
Never got into the Garin line, but is it not the 30 carbine case, necked down to the various calibers he put out ?
Old 03-04-2021, 01:19 PM
Supporting Member

Yes, Bill, they all appear to be based on M1Carbine brass with 40 degree shoulder and .010 thick necks, so require neck turning. When I never could get ahold of Garin, I went with a no-turn 22 Spitfire with 28 degree shoulder. Performance-wise I don't think there is a significant difference, and because of the relatively thick necks I am resigned to annealing more often. Worst thing about my project was the cost of the reamer and gages from JGS. They make great stuff, don't get me wrong, but cost was about double what PT&G would have been. On the better side, the JGS is ground to work with the Redding FL die that Graf & Sons sells. I really like this little cartridge and am using it more now for the K-Hornet class of cartriges. Current load is 14.1 grs of Alliant 300MP with 40 gr bullet for approx 3250 fps with pretty low pressure and good accuracy. I think this cartridge is good for an easy 3350 fps, still with very reasonable pressure. and BTW, the Calhoon Badger is essentially the same cartridge.
Old 03-04-2021, 02:27 PM

Maybe that would be a good project, for those with the Garin system. Have a good gunsmith re-chamber those barrels to the Calhoon case, and then resize that case to the neck diameter that the barrel has and be back in business, or would that not be possible ?
At least we know James is always there and he loves to discuss and will help anyone.
Old 03-04-2021, 10:24 PM

Yes, the 30 Garin comment was a joke, but I do shoot a 30 carbine. I don't know if the two things are related, but when the Garin line of cartridges first came out, they advertised a 30 Garin. I started posting that I had a 30 Garin that was built around 1942, with in a few weeks the 30 Garin was removed from their website and dropped as a cartridge. I can't imagine why?
Old 03-04-2021, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaz View Post
Yes, the 30 Garin comment was a joke, but I do shoot a 30 carbine. I don't know if the two things are related, but when the Garin line of cartridges first came out, they advertised a 30 Garin. I started posting that I had a 30 Garin that was built around 1942, with in a few weeks the 30 Garin was removed from their website and dropped as a cartridge. I can't imagine why?
Oh.. I shot and used the 30 carbine, in M2 form, a good number of times. Like it. way back when.