Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-26-2015, 04:21 PM

Default Whittakers trip yesterday, the CZ .221s are NOT dead

I went to Whittaker's yesterday, mostly to meet up with John Barsness, the writer, who was there to sell and sign books and visit with their new manager.

The new manager, Darrik Caraway, is a gun looney, and is on www.24hourcampfire.com quite a bit, and brings some fresh blood to Whittaker's. He also has a pretty good finger on the pulse of shooting nutcases like us. He likes smallbores a LOT, too.

Amongst news that is interesting to US, here, is that CZ is bringing in a new batch of .221 Fireballs this year, and next year is sure to be interesting, too (rumors that Whittaker's may order a batch of 527s in .17 Fireball might not be so exaggerated after all ). Maybe even some .20 VarTargs, if Whittaker's decides that interest and money are worthwhile.

If you've been looking for a CZ 527 in .221 Fireball, or some of the .17 Hornets in both configurations, Whittaker's will have some shortly, keep a close eye on their Facebook page, they usually list the new arrivals there.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:55 PM

Good stuff!
Old 04-27-2015, 12:29 AM
Supporting Member

Boy....if this comes to pass, I'm gonna be spending some money..........
Old 04-27-2015, 01:49 AM

Glenn - does Whittaker's still carry Dakota Arms? They aren't listed on their website anymore.

A great gun store that everyone should visit at least once.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:13 AM

Default Cz 527

A CZ 527 Varmint in the 17 Fireball, Now that is something I would like to have. Hope I can grab one if they come through. Nelson
Old 04-27-2015, 12:52 PM

if they make a varmint in 20vartarg.......i would be ALL over it
Old 04-27-2015, 01:34 PM

Are these the same guns as the ones in the thread MO17 started on page 1 in Classifieds?
Ken.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:32 PM

No. Those rifles in MO17's ad was the CZ453 American, which is a 22lr with the set trigger. Glenn talked about Whittaker's gettting in some CZ527 centerfire in 221 FB or maybe 17 FB. Personally, I doubt CZ would ever market a rifle in a wildcat caliber like the 20 VarTarg.
Old 04-27-2015, 04:50 PM

I mentioned the .20VT to Darrik, and he wasn't saying it was impossible, but the way they were talking, the .17 Fireball is a real possibility, all it would take would be for "someone" to order them pre-paid (namely Whittaker's), and that was a probability.
CZ might say NO, of course, but money talks, and all they'd need would be reamers, since they already make .17 barrels, and already make Fireball magazines. There's nothing to really stop them if they decide to do up a run.
Whittaker's has spent a traincar load of money with CZ-USA the past few years, and if they say they want them, CZ-USA will listen closely. Seriously, Whittaker's has sold more CZs in this country than just about any other one-shop operation I can think of, and they have no troubles selling all they get.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:38 PM

Glenn,

We both have been to Whittakers together (and to Moonlite BBQ also) and both are great places. My point in my response to kenbro was that it is very different to CZ to manufacture and re-market a SAAMI caliber like the 221FB, 17 Remington and 17FB, than to do so for a wildcat like the 20VT, with no standards for manufacture and testing. The economics and risks/liabilities would be much greater for CZ.

I still have my CZ 527 in 221FB from the first batch back in '04, and like it a lot. Glad you got some AA2200. My 221FB really likes it with 40gr VMAX, sub 0.5MOA. If CZ and Whittakers would re-open the 17 Remington again, I would be very intersted in one.