Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-29-2015, 01:41 AM
Supporting Member

Default Just like 50 years ago with the old Marlin .22 Mag....kinda! Graphic picture.

I finally have the replacement for one of my favorite childhood rifles up and running. Last one was stolen a heck of a long time ago.
Took the new Marlin 57M Levermatic .22 Magnum out for the break-in run today. I felt just like 50 years ago only a heck of a lot older .
Back in the day I shot lot's of jackrabbits, a fair number of javelina pig, a few coyotes, foxes and a bobcat with my original. Also squirrels crows and whatever else a young kid with a .22 Magnum feels the need to shoot, like skunks, did I mention skunks?? A few badgers too and rockchucks as I think back on it, I loved that ole gun!
Today was magnificent and a number of gophers got smucked as well as the one rock chuck I allowed myself whose last act of defiance was to do a bloody slide off the rock he was on and down a deep hole behind it surrounded by wild roses, thorns and all. I could see his tail down that hole far enough that I coulda probably reached way down and pulled him out but no way on that one as I'd a had to lay in the thorns and reach deep where I couldn't see and hope like heck he was full dead and not waiting to sharpen his big ole teeth in my finger.
I did get a photo op on a few a the gophers with the longest gopher shot of the day ranging 129 yards, I was shooting CCI 30 grain V-Max ammo.

I'm really pleased with that ole critter but I have to admit that the little lady was out reaching me on gophers with the CZ .17 HMR she was shooting. Come to think of it she swiped that one from me as well, why is it always the favorites that get clipped? At least I still get to clean the CZ she commandeered from me and look at it once in a while .

Hope you guys all had great days too !!

Last edited by montdoug; 04-29-2015 at 01:44 AM.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:53 AM
Supporting Member

Good chapter in the rebuild and drawing blood! Nice looking gun too.

I also have the same problem with my shooting partner, my 31 YO son, and I am sure you and I both are happy to supply them both with the tools and ability to share the field with them

Sadly, I had to cancel a trip with my son Monday due to some bug I came down with, I am in the process of "organizing" all of my stuff to take on a short-notice trip, and hopefully before it gets hot, or the alfalfa grows too tall.

And for a new-to-22mag guy like me, where do you find ammo, lol

Mine is a sako qad, I anticipated changing it to a clone of my son's 17hmr, but might keep it 22 mag for some fun.

Thanks for the story and picture, looks like a cool tool

Allen
Old 04-29-2015, 03:10 AM

Well done, Doug.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:04 AM
Banned

Default 22Mag

Nice Doug! Did the V-max give pretty good expansion on the long shots? Arkansas Spring squirrel season opens on the 15 can't wait!
Old 04-29-2015, 11:23 AM
Supporting Member

Doug all you needed was a pair of "Buster Brown" Red Ball sneakers and a Johnny Unitas haircut and you would be 12 again.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:04 PM
Supporting Member

Great post ,Doug, looks like a great day. Glad you got the scope screwed on tight and that the rifle is shooting so well. So your story is that your bride was shooting farther only because of better cartridge? Well, what ever you say!
At least you get to clean her gun. I think you enjoy the cleaning as much as the shooting.
Glad you got to do some gopher whackin!
Larry
Old 04-30-2015, 03:12 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat cat View Post
Nice Doug! Did the V-max give pretty good expansion on the long shots? Arkansas Spring squirrel season opens on the 15 can't wait!
From what I could tell it did. The one I ranged at 129 before his sudden demise put parts and particles in the air that I saw in the scope as well as my little shooting buddy mentioning that she made the same observation in the bino's. It was on the far side a of a fence so I didn't go over for a postmortem, only about so much I'll go through for a dead gopher .
Most of the gophers were shot between 75 to 110 yards and at that range it shredded em, I kinda cleaned up the victims for the photo op as most were near eviscerated. I can say that on the chuck that was right at 120ish yards he was definitely DRT and the bloody slide mark showed some serious damage, him I really wanted to check on the damage but even with a real interest there is still only so much I'll go through and he was in a real crummy spot.
As to your upcoming squirrel hunt (if this round is in question for ya), a guy'd really need to make a clean head shot and maybe a way forward head shot to boot if your talking eating squirrels. The CCI 30 V-Max which I believe is the exact same round as the Hornady 30 V-Max as I'd lay odds CCI loads both offerings, is real accurate in that CZ Varmint with the Lilga barrel. Plenty accurate enough in that Marlin too but those rifles are in different time zones when it comes to accuracy. As a smart guy once said, "The .22 Magnum isn't an accuracy round, it's a shooting things round!" . There it is in a nutshell!

Stevo. I was a "Converse All Star's" man with a "flat top with fenders" haircut that drove the old man wild!!!! Today I fear there ain't much to do a Johnny Unitas flat top with so his trade mark haircut is safe from the likes of me .

Last edited by montdoug; 04-30-2015 at 03:29 PM.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:57 PM
Banned

Default 22 Mag

Thanks for the info Doug! I always try for the head shot when I squirrel hunt I'll try to post some pics if I get time. I'll tell a good one for tree rats is the Rem PSP or the CCI PSP. The fed 50s are to but good luck finding them.
Old 05-01-2015, 01:10 AM
Supporting Member

I've been trying in vain to find the rare and elusive "Winchester 40 grain JHP" . Like mentioned in another thread about this rifle my old one shot them the best (course there wasn't much selection back then). Doesn't seem like that ole fossil of a round would be impossible to find but it dang sure seems to be .
Oh well, waited 50 years to find the rifle I oughta be able to wait a bit on a specific ammo .
Don't forget those pictures now .
Old 05-01-2015, 03:13 PM

Back in 1964 - I think it probably was, I shot a grey squirrel with my brother's Marlin .22 WMR using the WW 40gr.HP. The range was close - quite close- maybe 20 yards, hitting him behind the front leg, through the lungs, to exit out the sternum or right front leg. Well- that was my education on the .22WMR - it opened him up like a book, like we do to field rats with our .17's!
Also - the WW 40gr.Hp's were the most accurate in my own marlin bolt gun, in 1985. wish I still had it - sub inch at 100 meters, regularly.

Why do we let the good ones go?