Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2015, 01:12 AM

Default Not small, anyone got one?

Fixen to go retrieve a trail camera that has been in the mountains since last fall, the snow is likely gone now so will take a little walk and see what I got. I have a few nice guns, but unless I am going for a specific purpose, this one seems to always end up going. Don't know why really, it does nothing well at all, but it always shoots and it seems comfortable to have with me. This one is a 30-30 over a 20 gauge, usually carry it selected to the 20 gauge with number 3 buck in it, but have shot a lot of grouse in season with some sevens while watching for a bear. One time I even found a Meth Lab with it. I've even met people that ask what that "thing" is. Bet some others do the same thing if they admit it. Larry

Old 05-04-2015, 03:33 AM
Supporting Member

I too am intrigued with these over & under rifle/shotgun combos. In nearly bought two but missed out each time...a 22 H/.410 & 270 Win/12 Ga. That said, I think a 30-30/20 ga sounds like an awesome combo. Thx for sharing it... definitely tell us more about it.

On a different note, the last few years I have fallen in love with my o/u 20 ga for upland game. What's not to like? Significantly lighter than my o/u 12ga, same price for ammo, patterns further than 12 ga, less kick, a few less BB's. Also love it for clays...same reasons. All I know is I don't feel near as wore out after 5 boxes of shells. I'm thinking about buying one of the new Winchester 20ga semi-autos.

Cheers,

....ZBROJOVKA.......BRNO
Old 05-04-2015, 05:27 AM

Well not specifically about the O&U setup, but any reliable gun you take to feel comfortable. This one is really not a good machine at all I think. When sighting it in, the top barrel (30-30) gets hot and expands, the shotgun barrel is cool, so the rifle shoots lower and lower the more you shoot it. Takes you a while to figure out what is going on. So I guess it is a good one or two shot rifle, the shotgun barrel is registered low and left some, not bad for a shotgun as long as you know. But it does always work, and a 30-30 will kill most thing in North America, and a 20 gauge does a good job also if you know where to point it. Larry
Old 05-04-2015, 08:31 AM
Supporting Member

There were two FS in the store. Bought the 22LR/20 ($150) and left the 223 for someone else. Yeah, carry that one during grouse season as much as the 1907 Fox or the 686. If yours had been there I would have bought it. Sam Fadala wrote about loading the 30/30 for one or two shots with spitzers which is how I load my 25/35 and 30/30 because after two shots.... Try that and you may carry it more often.
Old 05-04-2015, 03:31 PM

A .30/30-20 bore does indeed sound good,. well done. Mine was a .222/20bore. You could barley keep the .222 inside a 6 quart basket (on end) at 100yards, though. I had forgotted all about that rifle/shotgun- thanks for posting this thread.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:49 PM

Default fun guns

Have owned several different combination guns over the years. The over/under type with barrel band/front sights that do not have the barrels soldered full length are my favorites usually. The impact points of the barrels can be adjusted some. By making a new barrel band/front sight for a Savage 22/20 I was able to get barrels to print within a couple inches at 50 yards with slugs and bullets. The 30/30 over 20 I had printed close and vertically in line at 50 with the shotgun a little higher than the rifle. Would like a 357/20 or a 44 or 45/12 as a woods gun. The 22/410's are my favorite pest control type guns. Have owned several different guns of different brands. My favorite is a Chiappa Double Badger with wood stock in 22/410. Accurate and throws a tight pattern both to point of aim with factory open sights. Front sight is easy to see fiber. Would love one in 22 hornet over 20 gauge with 19 or 20 inch barrels and same sights. I do not scope these type guns because of limited range I use them for and the ability to wing shoot with the shotgun. For years they were first choice when rabbit hunting with dogs. The old drilling guns with a double over a rifle barrel would be a great woods type hunting gun.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:05 PM
Supporting Member

Larry they are becoming quite rare out here in the east. I have only seen one for sale in all the 1000 to 2000 table gun shows I go to in the past 10 years. I should have bout it .22/20ga. It was not cheap but I always wanted one. Yours is a beauty.

Last edited by Stevo; 05-07-2015 at 10:05 PM. Reason: (sp)
Old 05-09-2015, 01:13 PM

Default Interesting

Interesting gun Larry. Say are you back shooting at Renton yet or are you still down in the Sun?