Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-05-2015, 01:10 PM
Supporting Member

Yep! I agree with Eddie completely about the man that can look down a barrel with a bore scope and tell whether or not it will shoot. I purchased a Hawk Eye bore about 20 years ago thinking I would be able to do just that. All it did was rudely tell me how much I don’t know about internal ballistics. Rifles I had been intimate with for years that were shooters showed all kinds of flaws that I would have sworn would take away from accuracy, but yet they were very accurate. Then I would look at barrels that didn't shoot and could not tell the why they wouldn't from looking at them via the bore scope. Now I mostly use the scope to check wear, cleaning and get an accurate twist count.
Old 05-05-2015, 02:46 PM

For those that question the validity of the gunsmith, the owner looked thru the scope and saw the problems first hand. He is not asking me to buy the gun back or anything of the sort. He has seen the targets shot with the gun an watched me shoot many of them. He understands I clean regularly and take good care of the bores. I only use Wipeout.

So the only question is how did the bore get so rough, and the other question has been answered by those of you who had similar experience with guns shooting well, with rough bores. Thank You
Old 05-05-2015, 02:59 PM
Supporting Member

Lenard,
Offer to buy the gun back from your friend for half what he paid you. If he won't take it from you tell him I'll buy it for half what he paid. We may have to discuss shipping.
Old 05-05-2015, 06:19 PM
Supporting Member

Default bore

Do you know the bore is rough? Maybe some kind of acid etching? Does it copper foul badly now or does running patch through it still feel the same? Do you feel the bore got this way while you owned it? Usually the most common way for that to happen is to store it with some kind of moisture in the bore. Curious as to where you heard the rust issues concerning CZ's. Reason I ask is that this is the first time I've ever heard it and if it's limited to a couple instances well it makes more sense that those bores were victim to specific circumstances not associated with CZ. Especially considering the amount of them in shooters hands, is this something that is all over the shooting sites, just not here?
Old 05-05-2015, 06:47 PM

Chuck, I had a friend ruin the barrel on a mini mauser in the 2000's using sweets and not neutralizing it. It etched it pretty bad and did not shoot consistently after that. The 527 has ha nothing but Wipeout, without the accelerator, since I purchased it. It has never been put away without a film of oil in the barrel.

It has never coppered much, especially in relation to some barrels I have owned. Usually on treatment every 50 rounds or so with Wipeout.

As to how I heard about the rust in the bore, from the factory, was from my friend when he was in Las Vegas, where he spends the winter. Other than that incident, I never heard anything else.

He looked at the bore carefully using the smiths Hawkeye and said it looks like pieces of metal from the top of the lands is missing in places along with big pits in the groover. The bore is rough all the way thru.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:05 PM

Rust in barrels .

When guns are hot blued it is an excellerate oxidation process (rusting ). One can take a freshly blued rifle after it has been boiled out and oiled ,take a white paper towel and wipe a nasty brown film off wait a week wipe again and same thing . It looks beautiful and blue and one cannot even see the brownish colour until you wipe it with a white rag .
Theres nothing wrong .
I am assuming that is what one is seeing when pushing a nice white patch down the bore of one of these rifles for the first time .
Chris
Old 05-05-2015, 07:08 PM

This is why I won't look at my barrels through a bore scope! I don't need to know how rough my superbly accurate barrels are.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:40 AM

Default cz

What you didn't do is look down the bore of the CZ when it was new and unfired. You would have seen the same bore condition as later. I bore scoped a new CZ and almost crapped. Yet the gun shot beautifully. It was hard to believe. You are better off not seeing the inside of the bore. Let your gunsmith check it if you are having problem.