Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-19-2011, 05:07 PM
Supporting Member

Default Devcon 10110 for Bedding Rifles

Starting last year I ran out of and could no longer get my favourite bedding compound "Micro-Bed". I tried a nubmer of others over the years and never was entirely satisfied. After reading so many good things about Devcon, decided to try it. Took some learning time, and it behaves WAY different than the any of the compounds I previously used.

What I learned;
Kiwi clear shoe polish is the best release agent. Per all the website postings, tried Pam, wood floor wax, auto wax, carnuba car wax and release agent. Top two are Kiwi and Carnuba based was, whether floor or auto.

You must get the mix ratios very close. If you have the gear to do it by weight 9:1, this is far superior to trying to judge the 2.5:1 volume.

Make sure you fill any voids that will cause mechanical locking with plastercine and make sure you wax ALL metal on hte gun, including the bottom metal and action screws, and any part of the wood exterior where you don't want it to stick. Once this stuff is hard, it is strong as hell, does not compress and is hard to fracture.

If you get a tight lock that won't release with a pop on the barrel with a rubber mallet, put the whole thing in the freezer for about three hours. This will make popping it loose muuch easier.

Overflow, clean up large bits with a popsicle stick. The residue cleans up real well with Hoppes #9 on a cloth patch or piece of paper towel. It iwll also clean it off your hands well.

To get a perfecT, void free job, you should leave the gun set up for 24 or better yet 30 hours. It will actually pop out much easier and cleaner than if you try to take it out early, as long as you have no mechanical locks or parts you forget to put polish on.

I would be interested in any tips ohers have for using Devcon.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:22 PM
Supporting Member

Take you shoe polish and set it the stove burner on low (electric). It will melt the entire thing and make application much easier. It will also fill in small voids that the plumbers putty missed. Also instead of popsicle sticks use Q-tips with the heads soaked in Butches or Hoppe's. Also remove the action screws before the reicever (unscrew them) it will prevent machanical lock. Adam
Old 04-19-2011, 07:34 PM

We use it in the power generating field, the stuff is unbelievably strong and can be machined if need be. we mainly use the ceramic, stainless and aluminum epoxy. this is the best stuff out there for our applications, let it cure at about 80 to 90 deg. for at least 24 hrs up to 36 hrs if you can, and your good to go! this stuff is expensive but more than worth it.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:17 AM
Supporting Member

Adam

Some good points. Especially the ones about cracking the screws loose after about 4 hours. I actually crack them then retighten them. I do that no matter what compound I am bedding with cause I learned once the hard way just how tight they can get. Good thing that one had Allen head screws, slots would have never released.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:19 AM

I have used Devcon on a few rifles and thought it was ok. i switched to Pro Bed 2000 and have never looked back. 40 some stocks later.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:50 PM

I hate using odd-mix ratios.

For years I used Devcon 50/50 steel impregnated epoxy & loved it for bedding - is it still available?