Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-25-2017, 04:30 AM

Please tell me about that Cadet in 357. Is that a hard conversion to do. Ohio now allows straight walled cases for deer. That would be perfect for my son to hunt with. I really like the little Cadet actions.

And by the way I really enjoyed your post. One of these days I am going to get out west to try my hand at shooting prairie dogs. Shooting that many times in a short period would have to be a blast.
Old 03-25-2017, 12:52 PM
Supporting Member

Default many trips to Montana with 5 friends....

and a progression of rifles and calibers we tried. For ground squirrels we started with 22LR (10/22) and .243 Winchester,... WAY overkill. Then 223, still way overkill. The 10/22s kept coming with us, with all the 25 round clips we could find along with a speed loader for each of two vehicles. Then the 17 Ackley Hornet, the KING of GOPHER SHOOTING! We stopped taking 10/22s because to spend the $$ on these week long trips and just see minimal or no 'splattage' (thanks for the term MontDoug) we took other rifles insead. But, ALWAYS a 17AH! I'm guessing the second most enjoyable rifle were CZ 452's in 17 HMR. The 17HM2 made a showing briefly, but the 17HMR and 17AH were the ones that kept coming back with us to Montana. Also used was a 22 Hornet [CZ] loaded with Vmax bullets, a good round to use! Also a 17 PeeWee [CZ], 17 Mach IV [mine on a CZ] and CZ 221 Fireballs, another great round I took in a CZ American. After 500 rounds of gopher shooting with the 221FB I found myself thinking it would be even nicer in a Varmint version.
I was happy to see Hornady bring out the 17HH, but got soured with early Hornady ammo after a new CZ527 Varmint got it's bolt face eroded by blown and leaking primers from a 850 round batch of Hornady factory ammo one of the guys purchased, (an early batch).
I hope Hornady has 'fixed' the ammo problems, because it too is a fantastic round like the 17AH, my favorite. I had a CZ527 in 17HH as well but sold it before shooting it after the ammo experience. Still have my home built CZ 527 in 17AH with just over 7,000 rounds through it.
The ranch we visited over a half dozen times was sold a couple years ago. I really enjoyed our Montana visits!

Last edited by Alan in GA; 03-25-2017 at 12:56 PM.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spook1 View Post
Please tell me about that Cadet in 357. Is that a hard conversion to do. Ohio now allows straight walled cases for deer. That would be perfect for my son to hunt with. I really like the little Cadet actions.

And by the way I really enjoyed your post. One of these days I am going to get out west to try my hand at shooting prairie dogs. Shooting that many times in a short period would have to be a blast.
The conversion amounted to nothing more that changing the barrel out and reducing the striker nose (firing pin).

Glad you enjoyed the post I was just reminiscing. Sorry to be boring.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan in GA View Post
and a progression of rifles and calibers we tried. For ground squirrels we started with 22LR (10/22) and .243 Winchester,... WAY overkill. Then 223, still way overkill. The 10/22s kept coming with us, with all the 25 round clips we could find along with a speed loader for each of two vehicles. Then the 17 Ackley Hornet, the KING of GOPHER SHOOTING! We stopped taking 10/22s because to spend the $$ on these week long trips and just see minimal or no 'splattage' (thanks for the term MontDoug) we took other rifles insead. But, ALWAYS a 17AH! I'm guessing the second most enjoyable rifle were CZ 452's in 17 HMR. The 17HM2 made a showing briefly, but the 17HMR and 17AH were the ones that kept coming back with us to Montana. Also used was a 22 Hornet [CZ] loaded with Vmax bullets, a good round to use! Also a 17 PeeWee [CZ], 17 Mach IV [mine on a CZ] and CZ 221 Fireballs, another great round I took in a CZ American. After 500 rounds of gopher shooting with the 221FB I found myself thinking it would be even nicer in a Varmint version.
I was happy to see Hornady bring out the 17HH, but got soured with early Hornady ammo after a new CZ527 Varmint got it's bolt face eroded by blown and leaking primers from a 850 round batch of Hornady factory ammo one of the guys purchased, (an early batch).
I hope Hornady has 'fixed' the ammo problems, because it too is a fantastic round like the 17AH, my favorite. I had a CZ527 in 17HH as well but sold it before shooting it after the ammo experience. Still have my home built CZ 527 in 17AH with just over 7,000 rounds through it.
The ranch we visited over a half dozen times was sold a couple years ago. I really enjoyed our Montana visits!
I suspect once I give up my Montana residency, I will continue to make a spring trip to the Gopher grounds for as long as I can.

That ranch you hunted will probably welcome you back. Give them a call.
Old 04-02-2017, 01:22 PM
Supporting Member

Default the ranch was sold..... but...

the 10,000 acre ranch AND the two adjoining ranches were also sold! The new owners are building a hunting lodge for $$$ paying out of towners from what little I know. Supposedly the largest land transaction sale of that year in Montana, (2015?).
We thought about calling other ranchers in Shields Valley that we also shot, but just been a bit saddened about where we did hunt, visit, fellowship with,.... I mean gee whiz, after many yearly visits we knew where all the cattle gates and creek crossings, gopher hot spots were!
Sad.
MontDoug will know more about this place I think. It's just above the little community of Wilsall.

Last edited by Alan in GA; 04-02-2017 at 01:24 PM.