Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-24-2017, 12:34 PM

Just so I have this right, you had 2 guns with bad triggers and you traded them to someone rather than have them replaced. Not smart.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector View Post
You guys keep beating the banner about how safe the 700 is. Just because it has never happened to you, does not mean it does not happen. I had happen to me with 2 different rifles and they were pointed in a safe direction. Traded immediately. Later got 2 new and converted to Model 70 safety and no problem. Last one I got with X Mark trigger was junk, got Jewell for it and no problems.

Did you disclose to the new owners that you were having problems with the rifles accidentally discharging?

Aaron
Old 03-24-2017, 02:56 PM

I have a 700 that will get a Jewell...someday. I have no plans to make anyone put in a trigger.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:20 PM
Supporting Member

Yikes......!!!

I hopE Hector don't live on my block. .......

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 03-24-2017, 03:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

I have never seen a factory Remington go of by it's self unless some one who didn't know what they were doing messing with the adjustment. doesn't mean it could happen, just never seen it.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector View Post
You guys keep beating the banner about how safe the 700 is. Just because it has never happened to you, does not mean it does not happen. I had happen to me with 2 different rifles and they were pointed in a safe direction. Traded immediately. Later got 2 new and converted to Model 70 safety and no problem. Last one I got with X Mark trigger was junk, got Jewell for it and no problems.
1. I sure don't see anyone here beating the banner you are referring to.
2. Guys are sharing their experiences, not saying it has never or can't happen.
3. I will assume you traded with full disclosure.
4. Not much of an X-Mark fan myself, either.

In regards to the specific incident that Doug & BCB have talked about, I agree with both of them. Sad, sad, sad thing to happen. The kind of sad that rips your heart out. I won't pretend to know if there was a mechanical malfunction. Regardless, safe practices would have prevented the loss of that boys' life. That mother is now carrying a Cross that I can't begin to imagine the weight of.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:25 PM
Supporting Member

I own quite a few ADL type rifles for serious hunting, and any possibility of an accidental discharge while unloading one has never been an issue. If someone does have an accidental discharge with an ADL type rifle while unloading it, the cause of it happening is unsafe operator error, and it’s not the result of an ADL type action design issue.

All that is required after pointing the ADL type rifle in a known secure and safe direction is that you use the bolt to push the top cartridge out of the magazine. But you never push the bolt fully forward, nor do you ever close the bolt. You simply push the bolt far enough forward to pop the cartridge out of the magazine where it’s visually laying on top of the magazine. Pull the bolt rearward and then simply tip the rifle action opening down and catch the cartridge in your free hand. You simply repeat doing this with each remaining cartridge until the action – and the chamber too - is empty and that fact has been verified by visual observation. And during this entire procedure a finger is never inside of the trigger guard or on the trigger

I’m left handed and I learned to shoot a right handed bolt action rifle left handed at an early age. Under normal hunting conditions, I use my right hand to operate the bolt to fully eject and empty a fired round from the rifle action and to load an additional live round. While doing this the pistol grip of the rifle is in my left hand.

When I unload an ADL type rifle, I still hold the rifle in my left hand at the pistol grip and I use my right hand to slowly cycle the bolt. As a cartridge is popped from the magazine I tip the action opening down and I catch the cartridge in the palm of my right hand located near the action opening. I lay the cartridge down in an obvious place and repeat the process until the rifle is safely observed to be unloaded, again visually inspecting both the magazine and the rifle chamber.

This entire procedure is much easier to demonstrate than to try describe in writing, but the idea that an ADL action is also a potential cause of accidental Model 700 discharges is not a valid assumption if the person is truly being safe. I also own quite a few BDL type rifles with a drop floor plate. I find myself typically unloading them in the same manner as I do with an ADL action. I’ve never been fond of occasionally dumping cartridges on the ground with a BDL type magazine. And I’m definitely not a fan of left handed bolt rifles so I’m stuck where I am.

Even with CRF rifles that I prefer “just because”, they can be safely unloaded in a similar manner without ever fully closing the bolt too. All it takes is a bit of practice. Practice makes everything safer to do.

This is just a personal bias of mine, but a BDL rifle has never and never will go on a serious hunt where horses, rough terrain, and isolation from “civilization” are involved. A drop floorplate is just one more thing to screw up at the wrong time. I’ve never had a problem with one while walking to a stand or on stand a ways from the old pick’emup truck on a casual hunt. But I have seen other hunters have problems with them 40 miles from help with the only possible “repair” being a piece of duct tape to keep the floor plate in place.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 03-26-2017, 08:22 PM

Great post BCB.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:51 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxhunter View Post
I have never seen a factory Remington go of by it's self unless some one who didn't know what they were doing messing with the adjustment. doesn't mean it could happen, just never seen it.
My thinking also. Kenny

I pride myself in being able to make decisions with little information.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:28 PM

Default Remington trigger settlement update

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicero View Post
My thinking also. Kenny
I also have had and still do have several Rem 700, with never a issue. As I understand, original person that had their rifle fire, both hit the trigger and also was pointing it at the person, that was shot. Two very major safety rules that were violated, but then with the aid of a sharp lawyer, took Remington to task over it being the trigger's fault and malfunction, and convincing a jury that that was the cause.
As other's have said, it is the person handling the firearm ( no matter the type) or the person playing with the trigger, it's adjustment or mishandling the weapon, that caused the accident. But so easy to blame the object rather than the person.. Just my take, thought, rant. Bill K