Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-24-2017, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
Using subsonic .17 cals in settled areas may actually cause more problems if the hard jacketed HP's ricochet even more than the pure lead RF's

This is totally true.

I guess it comes down to really perfecting each shot you take and knowing exactly what may or may not happen as a result of loading subsonic... If you read the hunting laws about rifles/shotguns/muzzleloaders its amazing depending on what state you reside in. In my state you must be hunting on 10 or more contiguous acres to use a centerfire rifle during the privateland shotgun/rifle deer season. The law is in place so there won't be 6 hunters on 8 acres of land with rifles... But with that said, there can be 5 hunters on 5 acres all using shotguns and muzzleloaders

I don't know how different an air rifle slinging lead at 900+ fps oppose to the .17 hornet traveling at 950 fps. I guess it comes down to the copper coated bullet vs the lead pellet.

This is the round that almost got my knot- http://www.midwayusa.com/product/461...10-boxes-of-50 It came so close it sounded like a tiny missle wizzzing by my head. It hit 9 inches above my head into the siding of my house. It still had enough energy to make it an inch into the wood through the vinal siding. You should have seen the look on the person face when I walked over to his house and handed him the bullet

Heavy bullets traveling at slow speeds below 800fps in relation to size seems to be very dangerous for hunting purposes or even target practice in the case above.

I have never had any problems with my air rifle.

The point is no matter what, you have to be ultra careful regardless of what your shooting.

How far away was your neighbor firingfrom?
Old 03-25-2017, 12:58 AM

150-200 yards away or so.

I use sub sonic loads in my 17HH for squirrel hunting deep in the woods, I would never even think about shooting in my yard as you must be 500ft from any house besides your own to discharge a firearm.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:51 PM

Still not shooting and rely bored so played in the loading room (old shed in the garden ) took an un-fireformed Winchester cased 17 A/H round filled it to the base of the bullet it took 3.5gr of Traiboss 70% of that would be 2.45grs
Also took a used fireformed and re-sized Win case it took 4 grs of Trailboss and 70% of that would be 2.8grs of Trailboss
As soon as i can i will load a few of both unformed and formed cases with their 70% loads and using a 20gr V/Max try them to see what i get
I cant use 25gr V/Max in my 1 in 10 twist it groups like a shotgun but i had good accuracy with a 25gr Berger H/P,s but at 3.100ft/sec so dont know what they will do at approaching sub speeds but time will tell i will also try some lighter loads you lads seem to do ok with them i thought that the 70% of case capacity was the min but it seems not to be so
if i cant get a sub load then a 22lr standard load will be OK at around 1,250ft/sec it will be a lot quieter than my 17A/H at 3,600ft/sec
the 1,700ft/sec of my first attempt was a darn site quieter than that and quieter than the 17 HMR
Old 03-26-2017, 07:45 PM

Wally,
I'd be wary of going less than 70%. As you know, it's as easy to get too big a bang with too little powder, as it is to get too big a bang with too much powder.
Leave the risk taking to me.
Ken.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally bennett View Post
if i cant get a sub load then a 22lr standard load will be OK at around 1,250ft/sec it will be a lot quieter than my 17A/H at 3,600ft/sec
the 1,700ft/sec of my first attempt was a darn site quieter than that and quieter than the 17 HMR
Subsonic .22RF HP plus a moderator (UK restrictions recently relaxed I believe) would be very quiet indeed...

https://rws-munition.de/en/rws-sport...-hp/22-lr.html
Old 03-27-2017, 08:10 AM

Tilleyman,
As things are now we can go into a shop and buy a moderator for an air rifle no questions asked, you can then use it on a RF, but, not legally. All mods. for anything other than air weapons are classed as a Firearm. As you stated, the regs. Are being relaxed so moderators will no longer be a Firearm, or, even part of one.
At the moment we can only buy none expanding bullets (I.e. Anything with Target in the description) by mail order. That is changing so expanding bullets will go from section 5, back to section 1, from whence they originally came. Some common sense coming into play.
Ken.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:47 AM

Thank you all again for your advice i will take note of all of it even if i dont take action on it
still concerned that some take the 70% of case capacity as the min but others go way below it ?????
Still not decided what to do
Old 03-27-2017, 03:09 PM

Call Hodgdon, ask to talk to a guy named Mike concerning technical questions. He developed Trailboss.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
Call Hodgdon, ask to talk to a guy named Mike concerning technical questions. He developed Trailboss.
good idea son i will do that
Old 07-07-2017, 01:09 AM

Default 32gr NOE

CT,

Is there any chance you have perhaps a handful of those 32gr NOE that I could pry from your grasp?

Expansion at 1000fps in dry sand is pretty fair.

Hutch