Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-01-2012, 04:17 PM
Supporting Member

Default Elephant gun

I loaded up 100 rounds for my 220Swift 1:9 twist that Badger Bob helped me build last winter. Very accurate long range rifle.

What a monster cartridge! I've been reloading several hundred for the 204R and 17FB. This 220Swift stuff looks like it could take on Rhino and Buffalo with no problem and maybe even an Elephant. Do you know how much powder these things hold? Seems like a bottomless pit. Should measure powder charge in bushells and pecks.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:29 PM

Default Swift

What powder are you stuffing in there? What weight of bullet? Funny how a large rifle primer looks like a frisbee after all you've loaded is small rifle, huh? I shoot Varget in mine with 50 gr v-max.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:31 PM

I have been dealing with the same thing in reverse. Since I started loading for the 20 VT, I just sit there staring at the cartridge wondering "Why does it go so fast?". I mean, there's nothing there. Now when I grab a 270 Win shell, feels like it weighs a couple pounds! Don't know how (why) the ultra-mag guys put up with the noise and recoil. Enjoy your big boomer!
Old 08-01-2012, 10:44 PM
Supporting Member

Default Elephant gun in perspective...........

The empty cartridge and bullet in the middle is a 416 Rem Mag cartridge and a 400 grain bullet.

The loaded cartridge and bullet on the left are a 17 Rem and a 25 grain bullet, and the loaded cartridge and bullet on the right are a 220 Swift and a 55 grain bullet.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 08-01-2012, 11:39 PM
Supporting Member

The rifle likes 75 AMax and 73 Berger bullets real well, but I'm trying 80gr Sierra with 35gr IMR4007. Should be a good 800 rifle as the trajectory is quite flat to that range.

BCB must not think it's a real elephant gun. I will stick to prairie dogs, but I won't be intimidated by the big ones.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:06 AM
Supporting Member

BCB that really looks out of proportion! i guess that i went from shooting just shy of 90 grains in my 7mm STW to less than 10 in a few small 17 & 20 calibers...
Old 08-02-2012, 05:30 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

I know the feeling well as I've been resizing half bucket full of .300, .375U/M cases into the .358U/m for the rifle Ive been tinkering with building. Bigger than a .375H&H.

Doc said yesterday he'll get me in within the next two wks for this R shoulder replacement.
With that staring at me I don't see that I'll ever be shooting this cannon, ever.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"