Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2014, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy(WI) View Post
1.5 gr of trail boss behind a berger 25 gr HP is subsonic in a CZ527 American and it does leave the barrel but I didn't have the chrono set up. By sound it was similar to standard velocity 22lr. Quickload actually calculated 1178 fps

I did use a little fiberglass insulation as filler
Welp fellas, finally after over a year I scored some Trail Boss

I have 19 FF cases ready for some low velocity chicken of the tree loads. Not to sure if I should go as low as 1.5? I do have the cz527 American like Jeremy but I'm freaked out about a round sticking in the barrel. Should I just start right at 3 gr and work down by .2 of a gr?

Suggestions?

My intentions are to get it down as low as I can for noise levels. Going to be using 25gr vmax and 25 gr HP's
Old 12-13-2014, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
Welp fellas, finally after over a year I scored some Trail Boss

I have 19 FF cases ready for some low velocity chicken of the tree loads. Not to sure if I should go as low as 1.5? I do have the cz527 American like Jeremy but I'm freaked out about a round sticking in the barrel. Should I just start right at 3 gr and work down by .2 of a gr?

Suggestions?

My intentions are to get it down as low as I can for noise levels. Going to be using 25gr vmax and 25 gr HP's
Congratulations

Hmmm... dicey, I wouldn't go that low... from my earlier post:

Hopefully I won't discover the stick point
70% of 4.0gr is 2.8gr minimum load... and I won't be going anywhere near that!!
Old 12-13-2014, 05:06 PM

Thx Tilley!

So what if I go at a flat 3gr's? Also how about lubing the bullet with Crisco to be on the safe side? Basically where would be your absolute lowest charge "you" would consider?

I'm not implying that I don't trust Jeremy's results as I'm sure its not a lie! I just don't feel comfortable ruining my CZ. Also if I have to use a filler with trail boss then I feel I would be pissing in the wind.

I guess if I could get down to roughly .22 standard velocity (1250fps) I would live with that, as I feel your results would still be to hot for tree squirrels?
Old 12-14-2014, 01:21 AM

I doubt that lubing a jacketed bullet with no grooves would be that effective, maybe give the bore a good scrub with JB paste to make it as 'slippery' as possible?
There's usually a good reason for minimum load recommendation, sure try 3.0grs and 2.8grs... NO filler.

But if you REALLY want a low noise load just go with .22RF subsonics. They are pretty quiet!!
However they also richochet quite badly, esp off dead hardwood so that may be an issue if shooting into trees

Last edited by Tilleyman; 12-15-2014 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Typos...
Old 12-14-2014, 05:15 PM

Well I guess I'll try the 3 grs and try to get groups by going up or down by .2 at a time and live with what ever noise level it reports.

I'll just use my Benjamin 312 for quiet plinking.

But then there is the 22-250. I have some 45gr .224 hornet bullets lying around I wonder how slow I can get those to fly?
Old 12-14-2014, 07:05 PM

Hodgdons list a load for the 22/250.
Ken.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:07 PM

Got a load for subsonics in 22Hornet with 45 gr bullet down to 1.085ft/sec if your interestd i will look it up.
Wally
Old 12-14-2014, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally bennett View Post
Got a load for subsonics in 22Hornet with 45 gr bullet down to 1.085ft/sec if your interestd i will look it up.
Wally
I don't know how that will help me with my 22-250 Wally, but thank you for offering.

I wonder how a 45gr hornet bullet from a 22-250 at around 1085 would do to tree squirrels? Not to sure if those hornet bullets would open up at all?
Old 12-17-2014, 04:45 PM

So I did some testing yesterday with Trail Boss.

I did 3 different loads- 3.3gr/3gr/2.7gr I found that with the 25gr Vmax all of them tumbled and patterned like a shotgun. The HP's on the other hand did group but 3gr's seemed to be the best grouping. I guess the remedy is to go down to 20grers if I want to use vmax or just stick with HP?

Now I did also try a load I had with H4198 (starting load) post FF from privi brass and to my suprize at 50 yards the group was about a quarter size but the odd thing is they looked like some of them tumbled? All Vmax. Even more odd than that is when I FF with aa1680 (starting load/vmax) I got perfect round holes? The target is a tiny bit angled but I know for a fact the trail boss loads tumbled. If I am getting tumblers from H4198 would I still get quarter sized groups or maybe they entered the target at a slight angle and look like tumblers?
Old 12-17-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
So I did some testing yesterday with Trail Boss.

I did 3 different loads- 3.3gr/3gr/2.7gr I found that with the 25gr Vmax all of them tumbled and patterned like a shotgun. The HP's on the other hand did group but 3gr's seemed to be the best grouping. I guess the remedy is to go down to 20grers if I want to use vmax or just stick with HP?

Now I did also try a load I had with H4198 (starting load) post FF from privi brass and to my suprize at 50 yards the group was about a quarter size but the odd thing is they looked like some of them tumbled? All Vmax. Even more odd than that is when I FF with aa1680 (starting load/vmax) I got perfect round holes? The target is a tiny bit angled but I know for a fact the trail boss loads tumbled. If I am getting tumblers from H4198 would I still get quarter sized groups or maybe they entered the target at a slight angle and look like tumblers?
My 17A/H tube is 1 in 10 it wont shoot 25 V/Max at normal velocities 3.400+
but it shoots 25 hornady HP,s at 3,300ft/sec
It wont shoot 25 hp,s at 1.700ft/sec either but it shoots 20V/M and 20 HP,s at 1,700 without any signgs of tumbeling using 3gr of Trailboss (70%)capacity,.
Wally