Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2017, 12:04 AM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter
Default remington trigger settlement update

http://remingtonfirearmsclassactions...oval_order.pdf
Old 03-19-2017, 01:30 AM

I fell a sleep while reading that, what does it all mean?
Old 03-19-2017, 01:45 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaz View Post
I fell a sleep while reading that, what does it all mean?
It means that a whole bunch of lawyers got filthy rich and anti-Remington folks have something on paper to crow about for another 78 years.........

(Just a guess as I passed immediately after opening the link and seeing all of the "lawyer speak".)

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 03-19-2017 at 01:48 AM.
Old 03-19-2017, 03:15 AM

Don't know if a bunch of lawyers got filthy rich but the Walker trigger certainly got bashed. Doesn't seem to be a lot of claims being filed. Kind of interesting reading why they​ think gun owners won't participate in the settlement.

Don't think that most of the 700 owners are going to send their guns in for a replacement trigger of the Walker trigger that they either like or have already or will be replacing with an aftermarket trigger.

Just curious how many of the "defective" triggers had been messed with by someone who didn't know what they were doing.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:42 AM
Supporting Member

Default Remington

Remington released a statement concerning this after 60 Minutes lame attempt to deliver a one sided story on the lawsuit. Bottomline 2 incidents where after extensive forensic tests by both sides the 2 rifles in question worked as designed, no discharge could be duplicated even after dropping the firearms. One of the shooters has been indicted on manslaughter after changing his story 3 times under oath. The other shooter contended the rifle discharged when nothing supported his story. This was a simple cost of litigation vs putting it to rest, it happens everyday. Remingtons response to the lawsuit and the 60 minute show are public and really shows what a bunch of dirt bags the 60 minutes media farce has become. 60 minutes was given all the true facts on these 2 cases and chose to deliberately bury them.

Last edited by Chuck Miller; 03-19-2017 at 04:45 AM.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:20 PM
Supporting Member

Default 60 Min...

A large local company was interviewed by 60 minutes. They accepted the interview only if they could have their own cameras filming the same sequence at the same time. That way any 'creative editing' by CBS could be countered by their own unedited filming. Pretty good idea.

Last edited by Alan in GA; 03-19-2017 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 03:25 PM
Supporting Member

At the time this warning was issued I owned two Rem 700's that were included. I took the apart and cleaned the gunk off of the Triggers. Took me maybe an hour and cleaned the rest of the Rifles while I was at it.

There was a noticeable amount of gunk on the Triggers that had hardened.

The 7mm 08 I traded for a Browning A Bolt in .243 and the .308 I still own. I told the new owner of the traded Rifle about the Trigger.

I have never had a problem with either of these Rifles and after cleaning that gunk up never expected to. And then come the class action.

I just think it's a bunch of hub bub over nothing.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:46 PM
Supporting Member

There was an anti gun show about a terrible tragedy that happened here in my area. Don't know if that's the show on 60 minutes in question cause I don't watch those channels unless there's a ball game on, I don't like agendas with my viewing.
At the time I was a hunter safety instructor and got a lot of info that never made the show. I am in no way trying to diminish how truly horrible this "accident" was but knowing what I know I have to say that even playing Devils advocate and blaming the trigger on that old Remington the poor Mother carrying the rifle violated about every gun safety rule on the planet that ended up with her son being shot.
Short version. Family was on an annual hunt, horses, camping and all. Mom goes out that morning hunting and the young son stays in camp.
Mom comes back later and after returning into the camp decides to unload the rifle in question.
The son was playing in or on the other side of the horse trailer and Mom takes to unloading the rifle that came into camp loaded and was being pointed at the horse trailer while she was unloading it. The rifle went off while being unloaded and went into or through the trailer hitting her son and killing him. My heart goes out to that family as only someone who has lost two children can understand, we have. I especially feel for the Mom who violated about a gazzilion hunter safety rules that ended up with her son dead and her holding the rifle. May God bless that mother who's life must be a hell on earth and the rest of the family too. Still and all, we all know the safety rules if we have, as we should have, been through hunter safety.
1.) Why did the rifle come back into camp loaded?
2.)Was the rifle pointed in a safe direction as it was being unloaded?
3.) Was she sure of the target and beyond?
4.) Were her hands cold?
5.) When was the last time that rifle was truly cleaned?
6.) Was it an ADL that every round has to be cycled to empty??

And on and on and on. As harsh as this sounds and I apologize in advance for that but ya have to consider the following in this situation. After that God awful tragedy happened how difficult would it be for anyone to not try and find a way to have it be someone or something's fault other then your own?? IMO Remington got picked in this particular case and I have no intention of judging that poor family but I've actually had an accidental discharge once and for the life of me I still can't say I know how it happened but I can tell ya I'm blessed the rifle was pointed in a safe direction and no one was hurt (it wasn't a Remington).

Enough outta me but I have thought about this one and prayed for those folks a lot, especially back when it happened but even since as well.

Last edited by montdoug; 03-24-2017 at 08:53 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:51 PM
Supporting Member

This above incident in Montana was one of the first of the "modern day" sensationalized events concerning the Mike Walker trigger. CNN had a special on this in early 2001. Event occurred in the fall 2000. Since then the beat has gone on......

From an early written explanation of what happened:

"Barbara Barber said her finger never touched the trigger when she pointed the rifle away from her family and toward an empty horse trailer. She was positive the rifle fired when she released the safety mechanism. Tragically, Gus had run to other side of the trailer and into the path of the bullet."

Put very simply, if the rifle had been pointed in a safe direction while being unloaded, then young boy (9 years old at the time, IIRC) might still be alive no matter what the cause of the discharge was. Pointing a rifle at an empty horse trailer while unloading it is not a safe direction when you can't see what's on the other side of the trailer. I too feel for the mother..........

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 03-19-2017 at 11:16 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:59 AM

Default safety

You guys keep beating the banner about how safe the 700 is. Just because it has never happened to you, does not mean it does not happen. I had happen to me with 2 different rifles and they were pointed in a safe direction. Traded immediately. Later got 2 new and converted to Model 70 safety and no problem. Last one I got with X Mark trigger was junk, got Jewell for it and no problems.