Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2017, 04:24 PM

My .17AH liked it in the 26", 3-groove pac-nor 9" twist barrel.

Here's a 'short' group with home-molied (MS Moly spray) 25 HP's from Hornady.

I think the important deal with moly coating, was to use a moly solvent for the bore - like Moly Solv., made and bottled in Saskatchewan, Canada. normal solvents seemed in capable of dissolving the moly.

I still have a bit left from the Litre I bought many years ago. It is a super moly remover - applied with a nylon brush, let sit for 5 minutes and patch it out - gone.

Unlike the CZ barrel, the Pac-Nor needed up to 10 shots fired to re-condition the bore when switching to moly or back to bare.

The CZ barrel didn't care.

Old 03-26-2017, 06:10 PM

I still use moly coated bullets for all my high volume Highpower XTC rifles and varmint rifles. Never had any ill effects on the bores and the processing isn't so bad that it isn't worth the effort. The benefit I see is no drop off in accuracy after 2-300 rounds. Each barrel is an animal unto itself so it is no cure-all.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:41 PM
Supporting Member

Default Drank the kool-aid

I've posted it before, but I drank the kool-aid and am still drinking it. I ONLY shoot moly in all of my high volume rifles. I NEVER shoot moly in my low volume hunting rifles. When you go with moly, it's a commitment and you don't go with anyone else. I always pre-coat my bore with moly before the first shot is fired, and I only use it in SS barrels. I've been shooting it for well over ten years. I NEVER find any copper in my bore on cleaning. I can't prove that it does me any good, but I've had no complaints. There are so many opinions because there are so many.............opinions. Do you use wax in the coating? Do you pre-coat the bore? Do you shoot both bare and moly bullets? Are you loading for accuracy or velocity? I've not found it to be unduly difficult to clean either - not from my hands, not from bullets and not from my bore, but I've also never scoped my bore either, and I can definitely see the difference between my just cleaned bore and my coated bore. Moly and I are together for life - or until she betrays me.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:54 PM

Default What happened to moly coating ?

As usual, from the various comments, Moly seems to hold one of the titles "you love it or hate it". So in the long run, read what you can then find out, for yourself, which group you will be in. Just a thought. Bill K
Old 03-28-2017, 03:02 AM

Thumbs up I recall an old benchrest saying.......

"You can always spot a moly shooter......that picks his nose!"

Kevin

Last edited by Kevin Gullette; 03-28-2017 at 10:10 AM. Reason: add
Old 03-29-2017, 07:57 PM
Supporting Member

Still using it in anything that I shoot high volume / high velocity. I find the barrels shoot better, longer. Won't actually increase accuracy, but if you have an accurate barrel, it will stay accurate longer.

Ny Kreiger in 6BR is going on nearly 2000 rounds and still shooting bug holes. My experimental Moly AR15 has over 10K rounds through it over nearly 15 years and is still a tack driver.

Both have issues with the throats moving forward, but for whatever reason, both are still shooting great!

Still a firm believer in moly on my bullets, in my transmission oil for the motorcycles and in my engine oil......Slippery is good!

CZ 527 Magazine Modification

www.rvbprecision.com