Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-26-2017, 10:46 PM

Default H110 static cling

I loaded up some rounds for my Cooper Hornet last night and had problems. The H110 clinged to my Lee dipper, but that is undetstandable with plastic. It also clinged quite a bit on my aluminum Ohaus 10🛥 pan, my XTreme Hardcore Gear Funnel, and also, a little bit on the pan support below the pan, but to a lesser degree. It was stuck enough that I had to tap and wipe some of the powder off of the pan and funnel to get it into the case. I tried wiping the funnel and pan with a dryer sheet and doing a rinse in water with some dish soap that I have heard about. Neither seemed to help, and I did not notice this much of an issue when I did this loading with some WC pulldown powder that is supposed to use H110 data.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Danny

The 11th Commandment: Thou shallt not fold thy Pizza.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:
Leopold Scopes, Forester reloading equipment and Victorianox knives.

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:10 AM

Sounds like you have real low humidity in your house. The soap and water usually works for plastic. Try washing and drying the dippers.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:56 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Better yet, get a RCBS powder measure, they won't cling
like that. I've used 100lbs and never had a problem.
H110 is way too sensitive to screw with dippers to start with.
You'll blow something up if you keep using those things with
hot powders.

A friend that was real careful used them. When he gave up he
gave me all his stuff and hundreds of loaded shells. Just to check
on his loading I pulled a few of each down. 38-357's varied 3-5 grains!!
Once I saw that, everything was pulled down and reloaded. He was real
careful with everything too.

Just experienced advice there. Take it or leave it to your peril.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 03-27-2017, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeld View Post
Better yet, get a RCBS powder measure, they won't cling
like that. I've used 100lbs and never had a problem.
H110 is way too sensitive to screw with dippers to start with.
You'll blow something up if you keep using those things with
hot powders.

A friend that was real careful used them. When he gave up he
gave me all his stuff and hundreds of loaded shells. Just to check
on his loading I pulled a few of each down. 38-357's varied 3-5 grains!!
Once I saw that, everything was pulled down and reloaded. He was real
careful with everything too.

Just experienced advice there. Take it or leave it to your peril.
Thanks for the safety hint. I never use dippers, or powder measures like you think, so I should be ok. I only use dippers when I am loading short runs. When I get to loading a longer run, I use my Hornady measure. In either case, I throw a short load, then use my Redding trickler to trickle it to weight. The dippers are faster for that on short runs.

Danny

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan View Post
Sounds like you have real low humidity in your house. The soap and water usually works for plastic. Try washing and drying the dippers.
Thanks. I am not too concerned about the cling on the dippers, but the cling on the aluminum pan and funnel has been irritating.

Danny

Old 03-27-2017, 11:29 AM

If I am reading correctly, you are wiping down with the dryer sheet then washing? If so, try wiping down with the dryer sheet ONLY. Don't do anything afterwards. This has worked for me.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog Patrol View Post
If I am reading correctly, you are wiping down with the dryer sheet then washing? If so, try wiping down with the dryer sheet ONLY. Don't do anything afterwards. This has worked for me.
The short answer is that I did both, separately. I tried the dryer sheet, loaded some rounds, did not find that it corrected the problem much, if at all, then I tried the dish soap/water drill, loaded some rounds, but noticed no difference.

Now the disclaimer. When I did the dryer sheet trick, I noticed that my scale pan was covered with some white dust. I figured that was not good and did not want to leave it on there, but I also did not want to wipe it for fear that could cause static production, invalidating my effort. In any case, I wiped it the least amount I felt I could get away with.

Maybe I have the wrong dryer sheets. We don't use them in our dryer because the manufacturer says not to. I also do not consider dryer sheets to be within my sphere if expertise. I will state that these that I have are bargain or "value" examples and not a known top shelf brand.

Danny

Old 03-27-2017, 09:33 PM

Try graphite powder..............comes in a little tube. Can find it at most hardware stores, even Walmart I would imagine.

Rub it in and watch the magic begin.

No more static.

I had to use it on my Saturn Aluminum funnel that was supposed to come "static free"........yeah right. I tried washing, dryer sheets............nothing worked but graphite powder.

Try it............rub it on.......it will leave a film and the powder just slides right off.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaminweasil View Post
Try graphite powder..............comes in a little tube. Can find it at most hardware stores, even Walmart I would imagine.

Rub it in and watch the magic begin.

No more static.

I had to use it on my Saturn Aluminum funnel that was supposed to come "static free"........yeah right. I tried washing, dryer sheets............nothing worked but graphite powder.

Try it............rub it on.......it will leave a film and the powder just slides right off.
Well, I think I will try that, and the thought crossed my mind because I have heard of people rubbing the working surfaces of Lee Powder Measures with a carpenter pencil, however, it was mostly to cure leaks and decrease friction. Your mention of this is the first time I have heard of using it on powder scales to stop static.

Danny

Old 03-29-2017, 04:01 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Danny:
Since you mentioned Pencils. Gotta share a joke we played on an old guy when I was a teen on a hay crew. Old Red was a plaything, never got mad. Got where he'd lift the hood and look at the wires before he'd ever get in the car. Pop the cap to make sure the rotor was on yet, and check the points to be sure we hadn't put a touch of plastic in them.
One day the rancher I was staying with said to take a pencil and mark around inside the distributor cap. So I did.

Red came out and inspected things, "hmm, looks like you a/h's didn't play your xx games this time. Wouldn't start! checked and tried it several times. Finally gave up and came to: "please tell me what you did this time". "Red, you got a hanky?" "yeah why" "lets see it" "here 'tis" "use that to wipe the pencil marks out of your distributor cap. "you xxxxxx's!!" Fired right up after that.
Next summer he had a VW and found it sitting on the chopping block one day after lunch. ----------!!

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"