Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 03-31-2012, 03:11 AM

For the money I think the Remington 788 was the best shooting rifle of all time.

Hal
Old 05-04-2012, 05:13 AM

I would have to agree with Hal........ 788 supposedly has a very fast lock time...don't know if that would account for all of the accuracy...the factory triggers were pretty poor. The 788 barrel tenon is considerably longer than a 700 which could account for a very stiff interface. but my guess is the barrel itself is due most of the credit. It would be interesting to talk with someone that worked at Remington and knew how the MFG. process(s) on the 788 differed from the 700. If there were any significant differences in how or what/which machines were used one may unlock the secret of why most all 788s shoot very well while the actions are sloppy by 700 standards

Jeff
Old 05-04-2012, 02:42 PM
Supporting Member

Default Rem 788

The 788's action were or I should say are stiffer than the 700. The lack of bolt raceways and smaller ejection port, same diameter as the 700 were the main reasons. I got into collecting them several years back and had all of them except for the 44mag. Of the ones I had all were good performers and a couple were exceptional. With the bolt open they appeared pretty sloppy by some standards, closed they were as tight as anything I've owned. They had a habit of snapping off the bolt handle which was soldered on. I never experienced it until I went to sell my 788's. Had about 10 on a table at the Big Town Mesquite Gunshow. Guy picked up a 223 and was telling his buddy how the bolt handles came off. I grabbed it to show him how "strong" they were, cycling the bolt quickly I snapped it off