Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-25-2015, 06:11 PM

Dang, got my reamer stock in the mail a couple of days ago. These I had planned to re-grind to be my chambering reamers. But alas the web of the reamers are too large, (the flutes are not deep enough) to ream at .22cal. So now to set up to regrind the depth of flutes before I can profile.
You know, if it isn't one thing, it is another.
Any thoughts about sleeving this 580 action?
There is a guy down the road that wants to swap my Martini 12/15 for his Brno 465 Hornet. Both are in about the same used condition, is value comparable? Thanks....
Old 01-25-2015, 10:50 PM

[QUOTE=Artpro;216628 ... He recently did another 581 mod in 22 TCM for himself. These all have fixed/rotating bolt faces, Sako extractors and are single shot only. ...
Art[/QUOTE

Any chance you could fix me up with an e-mail address or snailmail address for this fellow? I have a 580 that I've been wanting to turn into a .22 TCM.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:19 AM

Crickets???
Old 01-30-2015, 04:56 PM

crickets? no crickets here, sorry, I do not have anyone's emails from here. Been busy forming brass for my .222 Rimmed. Was given a bunch of .357 max brass, but was used. I have no idea what kinds of loads the previous owner used, but the web of the case had to be swaged .003, and the rims thinned, and a few rims needed the dia. turned down a bit.
I do not think I want him doing any of my loading for me.
But with lots of snow on the ground working on brass is better than shoveling the white stuff. My 9 yr old daughter really likes the little martini, so I need better, and more brass for gopher season.
stan.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:00 PM

Default some progress, and questions

Spring is almost here, the crows are back. Well I have been able to do a little more on my 580 project. The forend was milled square, and then sides and a bottom laminated to it to make a flat bottomed beavertail style forend. My daughter and I painted the stock, stone and leaves.
The receiver and barrel have been threaded, as well as a recoil lug built. And this is where it sits now. I am ready too make the front half of the bolt. Here is the question. What if, now this is still hypothetical, could an AR bolt be ground between centers, shortened, and slid into a sleeve then pinned, or silver soldered? There the extractor, ejector, and firing pin hole already done. Has anybody heard of this being done?
The caliber will be .22 Garin, but so far I can't get brass, so back to .223? I do like the idea of the extra .020" of meat around the chamber though. I know the rim dia. is a little less, but it cant fall off the extractor due to being held by the chamber, and with no lug recess to travel thru, it should be fine?
Thank you for all the input, and counter suggestions.
Regards; Camotes2....