Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-28-2015, 04:12 AM

Default Harrells, pistol powder measure.

I have a Harrells premium, 6-60 gr and have been concidering the smaller pistol measure 2-25grs.
I have been unable to get consistant, powder drops with low amounts of fine powders, (little gun, H335) for my .17 hornet, Vairance can be as much as 1gr,
But once I move up to the 20g plus it is within 0.2 of a grain or better, esp with benchmark for the .17 fireball or .204.
What has been others, experience with the accuracy of the Harrell pistol measure, using fine powder.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:51 AM

Default technique

Tap it during your powder throws as all powder settles, or use some sort of drop tube. Be consistent, and be willing to chuck it all if you aren't satisfied with results. That is a lot of $ for a measure that doesn't work as expected.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:56 AM
Supporting Member

I read it is all about repeatability of how you crank the handle, tap, whatever you do has to be the same.

I have one coming, hoping the vernier which is easy to see/ duplicate fixes the problems I have reading the small micrometer vernier on my RCBS scale. I may end up with one RCBS w/o vernier set for one charge, the RCBS with vernier set for one other, the Lyman 55 I recieved from my FIL for another charge, and the Harrells for a 4th charge...lol

I would call the Mfg for suggestions, they say all of their units are the same accuracy, although the smaller unit has .03 grains per click vs 0.1 per click of all the others.

Allen
Old 01-29-2015, 01:18 PM
Supporting Member

I have tried the Harrels pistol and for light loads of Lil'Gun, H332, H335, 2400 etc powder and found they do not work anywhere near as well as the Lyman 55s. Using the small top slide on the 55 I can consistently get max deviation of .1 grain(+or- .05 of a grain) and with good technique +80% of throws weigh spot on. Before laying out the big bucks for a Harrels, pick up a used Lyman off of Ebay for 25 or 30 bucks and give it a try. I think you will be pleasantly suprised, I know I sure was when I ran the test to compare the various measures.

http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13928

P.S. As for 110 powder, I have never found a thrower that works well at all. It seems to be just to small a grain to throw in anything I have tried it in, Lyman, RCBS, Harrels, Redding, Hornady and Dillon.