Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2015, 11:31 PM

+1 on the Shilen barrels. I used one of their featherweights for my Model 7, 17 fireball re-barrel job and it shoots great. The Remington 17FB barrels in my opinion are tomato stakes.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:42 PM

My mention of a Shilen blank number was based on my last BarrelMan buy; 22lr #4 CM blanks for a Ruger No.1. I suspect that one can buy a CM blank in 17 cal 10 twist Shilen from Midway for about 175 plus shipping. I buy from Midway on occasion too. One just has to spend a little time perusing the best buy of the particular timespan/vendors and think for yourself. Shilen has a swap meet twice a year where some leftover barrels can be procured reasonably most times; but kinda gotta get there early sorta speak.

I think why some gunsmiths will not accept certain jobs is because of time and potential results. Chatter can be troublesome, one can lose the barrel as it was originally intended, so the risks in removal of chatter are certainly there for the gunsmith. Some gunsmiths do not know basic chatter removal techniques either I reckon; but eventually one will become more familiar, just takes time and repetition; and usually..........help from a mentor.

Chatter removal techniques are the berries. Painful to the guy doing the work. I do not see the risk to the tooling myself, but I do not get out much really.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:54 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog Patrol View Post
+1 on the Shilen barrels. I used one of their featherweights for my Model 7, 17 fireball re-barrel job and it shoots great. The Remington 17FB barrels in my opinion are tomato stakes.
I used my factory 700 -221 fireball barrel as a jack handle, since I needed one. I used a Krieger barrel for replacement.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:57 PM
Administrator

The barrel man is even cheaper. And CALL x-caliber for a quote and you'll really be tickled
Old 01-29-2015, 03:19 AM
Supporting Member

I RECCOMEND NOT USING THE BARREL MAN - JERRY WILBANKS

If you want the story PM me.

Adam
Old 01-29-2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thskeer View Post
Bought a 17 Fireball, Rem 700, with the pencil barrel, used. After firing the brass faintly feels like it was fired in an H&K with the fluted chamber. Run it through a sizing die and there are shiny "lines" running the length of the case, again looking like a fluted chamber.

Sniper rifle armorer here is 99.9% sure it is a poorly cut chamber, where there was chatter, and the reamer cut it this way.

Is it worth having the barrel cut off, set back, and re-chambered?

Not sure I can justify 350.00 for a Lilja, plus an additional 200.00 to chamber and fit it to my action, right now.

What are your thoughts?

Can the calibre be up sized to a "K" or "Ackly improved" just a thought a slight lesening of the chamber taper might do the trick.
Wally
Old 01-29-2015, 01:37 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicero View Post

Shilen was mentioned earlier. You can buy Shilen barrels $50
cheaper thru Midway. I found this out about two days after
my barrel arrived from Shilen. Whine

If you wasn't single in the 70s, you just think you have lived.

You may want to check out the Barrel man next time you need a Shilen Barrel. He is usually in the price ball park of Midway and usually has a good stock on hand.

http://thebarrelman.com/shilen-rifle-barrles/

Add one more vote for shoot her till she's wore out or rebarrel. Even if you have to go the pre-chmbered route to save some bucks, you can buy a pre-chambered from Shilen for about $350 and that cuts down the smith work a lot. Should be 50-75 bucks to install the pre-chambered barrel. It will likely work out better than trying to rechamber.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:25 PM
Supporting Member

Don't think Xcaliber is presently doing 17 cal barrels. Jim
Old 01-29-2015, 07:03 PM

I used a Pacnor SS pre chambered tube on my Ruger 77/22H based 17 A/H
I cant fault it
Dont know the price cause the smith who ordered it for me shafted me good style
Wally