Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2015, 08:43 PM

Default Not super small- 250 sav. xp.

Howdy all,

Anyone here shoot a .250 savage hand rifle? I'm looking at a Remington xp100 custom shop gun. What kind of velos could i expect with a 14" bbl?

I don't know why I want it other than I've never had one, and always thought they were cool.

Gary
Old 05-05-2015, 10:00 PM

The 250 sav is a fantastic litte cartridge . If handloaded it is one of those over achievers . I dont know what you will get from a 14 inch barrel but i had a rifle with 22 inch bbl and could shoot 100 gr bullets at 3150 fps . Expect to lose about 50 fps per inch of barrel loss ?? .
Chris
Old 05-05-2015, 10:27 PM

Default Not new to the century old .250

I like the savage too. I've got my step grandad's 99f and I have a Ruger 77R that I just picked up about a year ago.(haven't started reloading for it yet)

You had a screamer! What powder were you using in those loads? I know the history of the cartridge and only being able to break the 3000 fps barrier with the 87 gr. bullets, granted that was when it was created, 100 yrs ago!!(just looked it up on wiki, happy birthday little quarter bore centurian!)

It is a neat little round.

I may have to get the xp, just because. 2600 fps should still put the hurt on a whitetail or antelope or chucks or dogs or coyotes....
Old 05-05-2015, 11:43 PM

The 250 is one of my favorite cartridges, probably because it has been in my family for 95 years. Both of these where taken with the same rifle, the bottom picture was my grandfather ( I now have that rifle) and a bear he took in 1945, this elk came off the same place 60+ years later with the same rifle. Its not what I would call a tack driver anymore, but it shoots half minute of elk. Good luck with your quest, the brass is kind of hard to find, but can be made pretty easy.
Bob
Old 05-06-2015, 12:13 AM
Supporting Member

Bob, It does'nt get any better than that mate, I keep coming back to those pictures and can't help but think how great that is. Your grandfather would be a happy man.

I am fortunate to have a rem 700 classic in 250 as well as a very rare straight stock checkered savage 99F. The only straight stock checkered factory 99 it was made from 1938 - 1940.

In the rem I use 100grn nosler B.Ts. they have taken sika, fallow & red deer, a pleasure to use that's for sure.

Johno
Old 05-06-2015, 12:58 AM
Supporting Member

Bob,
Which one is your grandpa, you kinda resemble both of them?
Old 05-06-2015, 01:42 AM

Default Not super small

Bob, those are great photo's. For sure your grand-father would be proud. Bill K
Old 05-06-2015, 10:07 AM

Nice pics Bob, and nice to see you posting again. You haven't been having too much of a good thing, have you?
Regards,Ken.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoWyo! View Post
I like the savage too. I've got my step grandad's 99f and I have a Ruger 77R that I just picked up about a year ago.(haven't started reloading for it yet)

You had a screamer! What powder were you using in those loads? I know the history of the cartridge and only being able to break the 3000 fps barrier with the 87 gr. bullets, granted that was when it was created, 100 yrs ago!!(just looked it up on wiki, happy birthday little quarter bore centurian!)

It is a neat little round.

I may have to get the xp, just because. 2600 fps should still put the hurt on a whitetail or antelope or chucks or dogs or coyotes....
A Ruger # 1 I rebarreled , Win 760 ,and Barnes 100 gr .
Old 07-19-2017, 07:09 AM

Default Xp is mine

Well, I got the xp after watching it for @2 years. Its wearing a 3x9x burris which has been sent back for repairs. I'll post some pix of it after I vet it back together and can relay how it shoots.