Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-15-2017, 12:48 PM

Default New Guy Here Need some input on a CZ 527

Hey folks, I am having a gunsmith make me a project gun.
I am having a CZ 527 in 223 converted to 20 vartarg.
Already have the barrel from PacNor gauges and reamers from PTG.
My gunsmith never worked on 527's, can you guys suggest an action wrench or a way to remove the barrel?
Also any tips on removal and any work that needs to be done on the action once the barrel is off?

I am left handed and this is a right handed action, since this will be a pure prone shooting target gun this is actually a good thing.

Thanks guys.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:24 PM

CW
Welcome!!
On your project, just some thoughts....

I would not want my first 20 VT with the nice components you have, done by a gunsmith not familiar with the CZ 527s.

Getting the barrel off is just the start, the challenge is in the fact the threads on the action/barrel are metric.....If your GS does not see that as any problem, then probably ok...You just don't what to hear, after the gun is completed:

"I did not realize the threads were metric, but it came out okay!"

Something to think about...

Bill
Old 03-15-2017, 01:49 PM

Default Cz 527

Some good advise right there.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:52 PM

Oh no I told him about the metric threads and that unlike the rem 700's the barrel sits inside and that it is generally weird "slav mini mauser".
He gave me honest answers about his abilities and knowledge.
Its a fun project gun for me, he is somewhat local (1.5 hour drive, no I don't trust any gunsmith in the Buffalo area where I live.) and I want to get to "know" the gunsmiths work before I bring him more stuff.
I have another project CZ 527 rifle on the back burner of projects too.

Yes there are some amazing gunsmiths, gre tan and such and they do amazing work. I like to support "local" community, we don't have a lot of gunsmiths around here, we do have plenty of idiots with a set of punches that claim to be gunsmiths though.

He is a young guy , USMC veteran and went to an actual brick and mortar school for gunsmithing. Every one has to get their start somehow and somewhere.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:07 PM

I think specifically you need to ask if his lathe is setup to cut metric threads. There are some US thread pitches that are close enough to metric threads that they will thread together, but that's not the same as doing it right. I only have the gears for my lathe to cut US threads. When I needed a CZ 527 barrel threaded, I took it to a local gunsmith who had the right machine for the job.

John
Old 03-15-2017, 02:10 PM

Default New Guy here need some input on a CZ

Our of curiosity what gunsmith school did he graduate from ? Hope your rifle turns out, as you expect and shoots lights out. Bill K
Old 03-15-2017, 02:15 PM

I know it was in Prescott AZ, sorry dont know the name of the school.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:22 PM
Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ae35gunner

Hey ChickenWing,
Welcome aboard the BEST site out there. Probably was Yavapai College in Prescott, AZ. They have an associate degree program in Gunsmithing. BTW, Ruger has been manufacturing out of Prescott, AZ since 1996, and Jeff Cooper's (may he rest in peace) Gunsite Academy is just up the road from Prescott in Paulden, AZ. You might check with Adam Bentley (Dresden Gun Co, Dresden, OH) if any questions arise. He is a long time Saubier member and was a Navy Corpsman before leaving the service and becoming a gunsmith. I wish you luck with your project as you could not have picked a BETTER cartridge to work with. The 20 VarTarg will spoil you!! Just hang onto your wallet because your small caliber thrill ride is just beginning!!!
My regards, Charlie
Old 03-15-2017, 10:20 PM
Supporting Member

Default my experience.....

Have threaded several CZ527s. One mistake some make ( and I did at first) is clamping the action wrench too tight onto the front action ring, actually squeezes the steel ring tighter onto the barrel thread shank. I use flat to flat action wrench for top/bottom of the action. I have used copper to protect the blued action but also have just used steel action wrench flats direct to action blued metal with no harm done.
A few drops of KROIL into the threads a day ahead of time does not hurt, especially with 7.62x39 CZ carbines which for some reason are usually harder to remove.
Some use 20tpi but CORRECT threads to cut are 1.25m. I take my CZ's to a friend's house and cut metric. It's nice to have access to a $26,000 lathe. MY $2K lathe cuts only English. If English is all you have then that's all you can do (20tpi).
If I remember correctly 20tpi English threads are each only 0.001" 'off' per thread.
Hope this helps.

"I'm not a real gunsmith, but I play one on the Internet"

Last edited by Alan in GA; 03-15-2017 at 10:35 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:03 PM

Hi guys, sorry for resurecting the thread just wanted to update people here.
Gunsmith is an awesome guy and is sharp. He made a rear entry wrench that engages the lugs so you don't have to worry about crushing the receiver ring.

Making his own tool to do it right, that pretty f-ing awesome in my book.