Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-15-2017, 11:21 AM

Eric-Gearld,

Which one of the 20 grainers ya'll like? AE, Hornady, or Winchester. Is one brass better than the other? I've read that most often 20 grain gets the nod for accuracy, is that correct most of the time?

Thanks guys, being disabled in my legs it helps to get a jump on my starting point. What powders do you guys like for the 17HH? Where do you get most of your load data? I've got powders I use in my 221FB, CFE BLACK, IMR4198, & RL7 if any of that is compatible. I appreciate ya'll,

Jim D---
SE Texas (on the coast)
Old 07-15-2017, 11:42 AM

I have had good results with the Hornady ammo and get some of my reloading data from http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle
I used AA1680 for reloading 20 grain bullets and H322 for 25 grain

CFE BLACK and IMR4198 can be used in the 17 Hornet but I didn't have much luck with the IMR powder and I don't have CFE BLACK
Old 07-15-2017, 01:12 PM

Default Cfe blk

Swift 220, I've tried CFE BLK in my .17A.H. Contender carbine, and it yielded really good accuracy. I've just scratched the surface, but followed Hodgdon's load data with 20gr V-max's and also Midsouth 20gr VNE's. Hodgdon's 2017 Annual Manual has a good writeup on CFE BLK in addition to the load data pages. You ought to be able to find some combination that works pretty easily. CFE BLK is also proving to be a real performer in my .221FB as well with 35 and 40gr bullets.

IMR4198 is also a good choice, just fill the case to the top and pop a bullet on top of it. Doesn't get any easier than that!

Last edited by dungheap; 07-15-2017 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Afterthought
Old 07-15-2017, 01:55 PM

Default Help with CZ527 17 HH

Hodgdon's data site is showing loads for the CFE BLK, work with some of them, I and a buddy, are having good results with it, in a couple cartridges. It seems to be a good one. Bill K
Old 07-15-2017, 03:56 PM

Buy 1 box of the 25H.P. before you buy a case. I was REALLY close to popping primers in my gun. Had several leak. If mine wasn't set at .064 for the rim, I am pretty sure some would have popped. It did work fantastic, but a little hot.
Old 07-15-2017, 04:09 PM
Supporting Member

Default 20gr vmax

I've shot all the Hornady offerings and the only one that b provided stellar performance was the 20gr vmax. Doesn't make sense to buy the brass, you can't reload it for as cheap as you can buy loaded ammo. I found the 25 round 20 vmax boxes for 15.19 and bought 250 rounds. So far what I've reloaded doesn't shoot as well as the factory but I haven't worked with it much either. I've only tried to replicate the factory load.

Last edited by Chuck Miller; 07-15-2017 at 06:09 PM.
Old 07-15-2017, 04:14 PM

For my 17HH it likes the 25grn Vmax pushed by Lovex DO63/AA1680
It also shoots the 20grn vmax and 20grn Berger HP very well with same powder .
I have some 25grn HP to try not got round to them yet .

I have had good results witht he 25grn Vmax out to 243yds on fox stone dead, and pigeon at 405yds , maybe pushing it at 400 yds but it certainly didnt fly any where.

All i did to my CZ527V was to install brass pillars, and bed the action with (JB Weld) vast inprovment from the factory set up .

By the way the scope is Hawke 8-32 x 56 on millet rings .
Old 07-15-2017, 05:27 PM

The Hornady 20gr. Vmax is the Bee's knee's in mine, sounds like the 25gr. load may be a cool/cold weather load.
Old 07-15-2017, 05:57 PM

Like pretty much everyone else I shoot Hornady Superformance 20gr Vmax factory ammo in mine then reload the fired brass. I reload using the same 20gr Vmax bullet with 12.4gr of 1680.

I think the chamber in my CZ 527 Varmint could be a smidge on the large-ish side, or the factory fodder is very undersize, because I pulled a few bullets from the factory ammo and measured the case capacity in water and then compared those to my fired cases and my fired cases are nearly a full grain of water, larger which probably explains why I'm getting away with loading 12.4gr 1680 with no pressure signs and that should be a rather warm load.

I'd have to look but I think that 12.4gr load w/20Vmax is getting me right around 3735fps out of my 21.5 inch barrel. I had my 17 Hornet cut back a few inches when it got threaded.

I played with CFE BLK (it's BLK not Black) a very tiny bit but it took more of it to get close to what I was getting with the 1680 and the accuracy wasn't as good. BUT, in CFE BLK's defense, I did not do a real load work up, just played around with a couple different loads.

If a person is chasing velocity, I'm going to guess you'll find Lil Gun and W296 are going to be your top velocity performers. My gun is shooting sooooo good with 1680 and the 20's, and it sounds like MANY others are getting the same results with this combo, I just can't bring myself to putting much effort into working up a different load.

I came across a shop that was closing their doors a couple months and they had an incredible sale on the 15.5gr Hornady Superformance ammo ($10 per box) so I bought a few thousand rounds of it, probably should have bought all they had but I didn't.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
Like pretty much everyone else I shoot Hornady Superformance 20gr Vmax factory ammo in mine then reload the fired brass. I reload using the same 20gr Vmax bullet with 12.4gr of 1680.

I think the chamber in my CZ 527 Varmint could be a smidge on the large-ish side, or the factory fodder is very undersize, because I pulled a few bullets from the factory ammo and measured the case capacity in water and then compared those to my fired cases and my fired cases are nearly a full grain of water, larger which probably explains why I'm getting away with loading 12.4gr 1680 with no pressure signs and that should be a rather warm load.

I'd have to look but I think that 12.4gr load w/20Vmax is getting me right around 3735fps out of my 21.5 inch barrel. I had my 17 Hornet cut back a few inches when it got threaded.

I played with CFE BLK (it's BLK not Black) a very tiny bit but it took more of it to get close to what I was getting with the 1680 and the accuracy wasn't as good. BUT, in CFE BLK's defense, I did not do a real load work up, just played around with a couple different loads.

If a person is chasing velocity, I'm going to guess you'll find Lil Gun and W296 are going to be your top velocity performers. My gun is shooting sooooo good with 1680 and the 20's, and it sounds like MANY others are getting the same results with this combo, I just can't bring myself to putting much effort into working up a different load.

I came across a shop that was closing their doors a couple months and they had an incredible sale on the 15.5gr Hornady Superformance ammo ($10 per box) so I bought a few thousand rounds of it, probably should have bought all they had but I didn't.
B23, Im on the same amount of powder as you are using for the 20grn vmax and with a 24" barrel i get 3685fps , and wih the 25gn im on 11.9grn and get 3250fps..