Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-17-2008, 09:03 PM

Default Ok....I give up. How do you disassemble the Rem 700 Bolt?

Unlike a couple of other brand rifle bolts which I could dissassemble by hand, I tried for about 15 minutes with the remington 700 bolt, and gave up.

I want to remove the pin and extractor.

How do I do it?.....Do I need a special tool or jiog?
Old 02-17-2008, 09:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to GLShooter

Hook the lug on the bottom of the bolt, the one behind the joint, on to a metal table or something solid and push the bolt body forward. There is a little cut in the bolt/firing pin assembly that you can slip a dime into to hold the pressure. Then you just unscrew the assembly and you are done with that.

The extractor is not designed to be removed routinely. They are usually pinned in and that would entail removing that pin to take out the extractor and then you have to replace it and peen in another pin. Not a fun deal.

There are several tools out there that Brownell's handles to aid in the firing pin removal and I have used them in the schools I have taught but I haven't bothered to get on but since you jogged the brain cells I may well do that. Brownell's LOVES ME!!

Greg
Old 02-17-2008, 10:03 PM

GL,

I must have been close to disassembling it and didn't know it....because I already had that back 1" of the bolt rotated first to the right, and then to the left, but didn't notice any hint of the bolt coming apart.

I locked the length of the bolt in wood blocks in a vise (so not to scratch it), and then with the edge of a wood block I pulled that double stud lug back (the double stud that's situated inside of that 1/8" wide slot, and is under a lot of spring tension). While pulling back on the lug, I rotated that 1" long back assembly both directions. But nothing loosened.

While trying to pull that double stud back, (under tension) it would often get away from me and spring forward and hit the bolt real hard. I figure if I keep doing that without any success, it was just a matter of time before the constant springing and hitting of the lug against the bolt gets damaged.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:13 PM

Default "Gets the bolt damaged".......

or the whole mess slips, and you get hurt!.....be careful when doing it this way....I did it for years like this, and finally broke down and got the Kleindornst tool.....expensive, but after I got it, wondered why I was so stupid about spending the 40 bucks!.....now it's a piece of cake.....I have since modified it to work on the cooper bolts also....steve
Old 02-17-2008, 10:39 PM

I have a tool for takeing the bolt shroud and fireing pin out of bolt, but if you don't have one then a allen wrench will work safely. Place allen wrench across fireing pin like it shows in pic. Pull back on fireing pin with the wrench useing two fingers and turn counter clock-wise two to four turns, slowly let wrench slide foward and then finish unscrewing by hand.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:39 PM

GL,

Ok....I tried it again, this time more cosely trying to do what you described.

NOW....I understand what you were describing about a little slot to put the dime in. As soon as I saw that slot and did that, the rest goes like a piece of cake.

Foster's,

Yes, I see what you mean. Luckilly I have a very large vise to work with, and scrap iron to form a tool. I used a grinding wheel to shape the edge of a piece of scrap iron to a "v" shape to fit snug in the lug slot. I firmly locked the iron edge into the vise and then with a firm grip, I hooked the bolt lug onto it in the fashion of the "edge of a desk" that GL was describing.

Think I'll not jack with the extractor, as it isn't really necessary.

Thanks gents.

EDIT:

Tim,
I was posting this at the same time you were posting your input. That photo should be informative to anybody else that would like to know how to do this too. A thanks to you as well.

Last edited by Centerfire; 02-17-2008 at 10:43 PM.