Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-17-2013, 04:28 PM
Supporting Member

Have any of you guys shot a 30 BR at those varmints ? Thanks. Looks like a great time had by all.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:05 PM

Some of those rifles looks the same as one I want to build!

Are they using McMillan Hunter BR stocks?
Old 06-18-2013, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
Some of those rifles looks the same as one I want to build!

Are they using McMillan Hunter BR stocks?
Yes, we took several rifles stocked with McMillan Hunter Class stocks. One can install a threaded sling-swivel pillars (front and rear), and remove the studs for shootin' off the bench. RG

Last edited by Randy Robinett; 06-19-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrock ranger View Post
Have any of you guys shot a 30 BR at those varmints ? Thanks. Looks like a great time had by all.
Before moving from the farm, I shot several coyotes with my original 30BR - usually those 'called' when [the late] Dan Hackett would phone me to discuss my latest error(s)! One winter, Dan was the best coyote call ever - on four occasions, during our discussions, I looked out the window and saw a coyote trekking across the South 40; I'd tell Dan, "hold on a minute, I've got to shoot this coyote"!

But, I've never taken a 30BR hunting - I usually carry something a LOT flatter shootin' for that! RG
Old 06-18-2013, 11:40 PM

Years ago, I used my .30 BR match rifle (11" twist) with a 20X Lyman with 1/8MOA dot for gophers (Columbia Ground Squirrels) in BC. It worked fine to 250yards, but was really iffy past that with no plex or mil dots. It (old scope) did not have easily adjustable turrets.

IIRC - I was sighted a couple inches high at 100. If I'd have a mil dot scope, hold-overs would have been a lot easier.
The 130gr Speers HP's at 2,900fps opened them up pretty good - much louder "POCK" than the .22's or .17's.

Friend on mine in Central BC was going to use his .30 BR match rifle on them this summer. I'm not sure about his twist - 16" or 17" I think, for light bullets.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:51 AM

Seeing your luck with the 222rem at those distances.. I again have trouble figuring out if I should build a 222 or a 6mmBR.

I have a Vixen.. but Maybe I should sell that and build myself a 6BR on a Kelbly Kodiak action.

( In case your wondering why not both, its due to limitations on rifles in my country. Only 6 hunting weapons are allowed, which limits the number of Varmint rifles I can have. )
Old 06-19-2013, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Robinett View Post
Yes, we took several rifle stocked with McMillan Hunter Class stocks. One can install a threaded sling-swivel pillars (front and rear), and remove the studs for shootin' off the bench. RG
That was my idea.. although I was planning on a Anschutz rail underneath, for mounting a bipod stud/ picatinny rail.

How do you guys like this stock for "across the course" shooting.. Its not limited to bench only as I see from these photos!