Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-03-2015, 09:16 AM

Default Leupold FX-3, 12x40??

I am wondering if anybody has tried the Leupold FX-3, 12x40 for varmint hunting?

I really like fixed magnification, and this seems to be the right one to put on a 22-250 / 6BR I am putting together.

I am just not sure if I would be able to see the targets at 3-400 yards to senter the reticle? Main targets are crows!
Old 08-03-2015, 10:00 AM

Default Leupold FX-3, 12x40??

I use one for shooting Woodchucks 300 to 600 yards and I'm very happy with that scope.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerone View Post
I have one on a .22 Hornet. For me it's great out to 200 yards. It has the Leupold target dot reticule. One thing I don't care for are the tall target knobs. I'll probably replace this scope with an older M8 with the lower profile knobs. Leupolds' shop will replace the target knobs for smaller ones for $75 - $80.
Most everyone goes from hunting knobs to target so rather than get rid of your target model, save your money on converting and put it up for sale here where it will move quick if priced right.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:49 PM

Default Fx-iii 12x

Unless you have a vision problem, you should be able to center crows at 500 yards fairly easily. I shoot beyond 500 yards on PDs with mine without difficulty with old eyes. It's my favorite varmint scope.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hawkeye View Post
Unless you have a vision problem, you should be able to center crows at 500 yards fairly easily. I shoot beyond 500 yards on PDs with mine without difficulty with old eyes. It's my favorite varmint scope.
Was wondring what reticle you use here thanks.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:38 AM

Yes, there are tree reticles available..

Duplex, Long Range Duplex, and Leupold Dot.

I am not sure which one to choose either, so....
Old 08-04-2015, 12:51 PM

Reticle choice is both a personal preference & task specific, but I much prefer the Leupold Dot for long range work on small targets. I also have fixed power Leupys with the Fine Plex & CPC reticles that work very well, too. The CPC actually allows for the most precise aiming, but can be harder to see under certain low light & dark background conditions. The CPC is a Leupold Dot without the dot. The standard duplex is too heavy (thick) for precise aiming at small distance targets, IMHO. Not sure why Leupold makes a long range target scope with turrets & then puts a duplex reticle in it other than it's probably their cheapest reticle & many who buy it plan on doing the $70 reticle change anyway. The long range reticle is a mystery to me also, as why would you need multiple aiming points on a scope with an elevation turret? Must be a reason & demand for them to make it one of only three over the counter options. If you don't like the Leupold Dot, I recommend you get the duplex & send it to Leupold for a reticle change to one of the others I mentioned (or one of your preference) that is better suited to your shooting needs. Leupold has dozens of reticle choices to fit about any shooting situation. I have 8, 10, & 12X Leupys & most were bought used, then sent to Leupold for a reticle change of my liking.

Last edited by Old Hawkeye; 08-04-2015 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:27 PM
Supporting Member

The Leupold 1/8" target dot is heavier than the fine part of the Leopold fine duplex. the measurement of the fine part of the fine duplex is .1 thick and 3.2"wide on 18 power @ 100 yds.Could be used a an aide for range finding.
Leupolds website has the reticle sub tensions for many of their offering.

I've took a liking to the VX 2 6 x18. Nice glass and different reticule options plus CDS if wanted.