Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-05-2015, 08:49 AM

Default Sako L579, single shot action?

What should one look for in this action?

I found one for sale.. Serial # indicates 76/77 production, says L579 on side, but has a A1 bolt shroud?

I know some where "real single shots", and some had a piece pinned into the magazine opening. I guess those are easy to spot with a pin or to showing on the sides?
Old 08-05-2015, 10:24 AM
Supporting Member

Default Sako Single Shot Actions

Northman,
I have a L579 and 2 All single shot actions. These are true single shot actions and it will be easily visible if the bottom were filled in. I'm scratching my head on the L579 with a All bolt shroud? If you need any pictures of a Sako single shot actions, let me know and I can email you some.
Stan
Old 08-05-2015, 02:40 PM

It's not uncommon for rifles with L series stamped actions made during the transition to the A series stamping to have bolt shrouds. Sako used up every part it seems & the addition of the bolt shroud to the L579 action wasn't necessarily coordinated with the A stamping. BTW, the bolt shroud is the only difference between the two & Sako continued to refer to the action as a L579 internally even though they were stamped with A's when marketed. You won't, however, find any A stamped actions with a non-shrouded bolt. At least I'm not aware of any that exist. The bolts are completely interchangeable, so it is also possible for an individual to switch them.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:26 PM
Supporting Member

Default L579 single shot actions

That opening your referring to is smaller than the std Sako L579 magazine opening. It has a pinned insert and is stamped with a number that corresponds to a stamp on the bottom of the action, it was never designed to be removed, but you can. Good vise, big hammer, most that take them out figure out their folly and put them back in. The only way you could buy this was as an action only so they turn up on a lot in custom configuration. My L579 is a Shilen barreled heavy 243 in a custom stock. As OH says having a AII shroud on a later L579 is not that rare. Also factor in that most of those factory single shot actions the bolt was not numbered to the action. I have SS rifles in a 2-L46's(1 not pinned), 2- L461's one of which has a AI bolt shroud on it and the mentioned L579. Only one of the L461's has a numbered bolt. I also have a NIB AII SS action in the white with correct late shroud and a un-numbered bolt. My thoughts are that Sako produced these actions, and as they shipped mated them with un-numbered bolts. Early shipments came with period correct bolts, later fell into that transition period. As with most things Sako there is no hard and fast rule....for anything. Every time I shove my stick in the sand on something Sako I regret it as something will surface...it always does.

Last edited by Chuck Miller; 08-05-2015 at 03:39 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:19 PM

Just recived more photos.. its a complete single bottom reciver. Not pinned in.

But, it has been drilled and tapped

Any god way of concealing this on Sako actions? Considering I am going to use Sako Ringmounts.

Last edited by Northman; 08-28-2015 at 02:47 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:08 PM

If you want to cover the holes any of the separate base/ring systems like Sako Optilocks, Redfield, & others whose bases slide on the tapered dovetails will do that. There is no need to screw them on or even use the "set" screw they come with, as driving them on with a wood dowel & hammer is sufficient to secure them. In fact, the "set" screw will only further mar the dovetail surface unnecessarily. The recoil forces of the rifle will actually tighten them. Filling them with screw plugs would be my choice, as I much prefer the one piece Leupold ringmounts. The ringmounts will cover a hole, so the one screw plug top showing isn't all that cosmetically harmful. Trying to "hide" them serves no practical purpose. Drilled & tapped Sako dovetails do detract from a rifles value from a collector's viewpoint, but as a custom build it wouldn't even be a consideration. Custom builds never sell for what they cost anyway. The devaluation of the action will vary from buyer to buyer, but considering yours is such a rare configuration I doubt it will be much, if anything. BTW, great find!!! I assume it's for a build. Let us in on the details.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:54 AM

Well in its current configuration, it has a 308 Win Varmint barrel.. with only 1-2000 rounds through it. So, I guess it would take a few years to shoot that one out

I was thinking of converting it to a 6BR after that..
Old 08-29-2015, 02:10 PM

So, it is a complete rifle? If so, is it an original Sako single shot target/varmint? I was thinking it was just the action. Depending on it's condition, I'm not sure I would be in a hurry to alter it. They make great 1000 yard rifles & when the 308 barrel goes most guys put 6.5 Creedmoor barrels on for better ballistics & less shoulder abuse.
Old 08-30-2015, 02:37 PM
Supporting Member

Default original?

I'm not aware of a L579 single shot HB complete rifle from sako. Those were actions only....did sako ever offer a HB 308 in the L579 series? If so I've never seen one but you never know with sako. My guess is its an aftermarket barrel, pics would help.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:56 PM

https://photos-6.dropbox.com/t/2/AAA...68&size_mode=2

https://photos-4.dropbox.com/t/2/AAB...68&size_mode=2

https://photos-6.dropbox.com/t/2/AAA...68&size_mode=2

Last edited by Northman; 08-30-2015 at 05:59 PM.