Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-15-2016, 07:47 AM

Default Found two of my grails (Sako BR)

Well, I really dont know how long I have looked for these (actions) rifles, but I finally did it.

A Sako AI & AII, (true) single shot action, with target triggers. 3 action screws?? Caliber 223 and 22-250 with HUGE 25" stainless steel barrels. And after market laminate stocks.

The store had 4 of these, after an estate sale, 22PPC, 6PPC, 223, 22-250. After sitting on the shelves for almost 6 months, they lowerd the price on them. I just could not pass them up. So, now I have the 223 & 22-250 on lay away.

I dont have the funds for complete builds now, but they will sit comfortably in my safe.

My plans for these actions where 222 & 6BR... but if there is still life in the old barrels, I will keep them as they are.

Now, how do you, who have the same actions rate them?
Are the three bedding screws orginal or done afterwards? The third is just in front of the trigger.

Last edited by Northman; 10-15-2016 at 08:05 AM.
Old 10-15-2016, 10:16 AM

I got banned from my local BR rifle club using one Does that answer your question ?
Pete
Old 10-15-2016, 06:55 PM

My old A1 in .222 still shoots 1/4", pretty much on demand with a few different powders I've tried, 2230, IMR4198 and H4198 with 40gr. VLC's & 52gr. match bullets. No case prep, WSR, BR4 or Fed205M.
I think maybe with some case prep & modern match bullets, maybe some bedding (never done), that could be shrunk some but I've no idea how much.
They make nice varmint rifles & still competitive for 3-position shooting.
Old 10-15-2016, 11:41 PM

Default Sako actions

I have A1s in 221FB,17Rem, and 223. All have shilen 24" barrels, Mcmillan Hunter stocks.
And I had an A1 deluxe in 6PPC. It shot fair but not what I wanted. So I had it rebarreled to 22PPC. It shoots better but not any better than the others mentioned above.
I also found a PPC bolt face A1 and had a heavy barrel 22ppc made. It shot real good but I sold it.
And I had a .222 factory barreled action set in very nice walnut, another good shooter that I sold.
Lastly I had an A1 with a Shilen barrel and McMillan Sako hunter stock chambered in 20 VT. I had a bad brain fart and sold as well. It was very accurate.
All of these are repeaters, not single shots.
I think they are a great action for building a small cartridge rifle.