Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-22-2020, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorepower View Post
I think you will have to have some really short bullets with your twist rate. Possibly the 45 grain flat based hornet, or a flat based 50 grain soft point like an SX , Sierra Blitz, or a flat base dogtown. I think your on the right path. What is your intended goal, other than quiet? Varmints I would assume, or just a quiet plinker? I would expect some soot on the neck also.
I need just a tad more penetration than I can get with a subsonic .22 LR. I think that even with the same weight bullet a jacketed lead core would give me the extra umph that I want.

Thanks for the tip on the dogtowns. I have two boxes in the basement. I'll have to see if they stabilize any better than the 50 grain blitz I shot today. It was starting to oblong the bullet holes at 1050 fps. Not terrible but enough to affect accuracy

Ryan
Old 10-22-2020, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan View Post
I know you can get to subsonic with a 22 Hornet, but a doubt you can get there with a 221FB. You might want to try AA5744 powder also in the FB, as it is very coarse grained, fills a case quickly, and is easy to ignite. It is made for large black powder cases. Its burning rate is similar to AA No. 9 or maybe W296/H110.

If all else fails I may try the AA5744.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Ryan
Old 10-26-2020, 07:06 AM

I use 33gr Speer bullets and trailboss in a 10 inch 221fb contender for grey squirrels. The slower you go with heavy/long bullets they will tumble/keyhole most likely.

Getting down to around 930fps give or take. I forget the load but its really small. You can stick a round in the barrel if your not careful. A chronograph is a must!

Be extremely careful with reduced loads!

Disclaimer- load carefully at your own risk! Always go by published data.
Old 10-27-2020, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorepower View Post
I think you will have to have some really short bullets with your twist rate. Possibly the 45 grain flat based hornet, or a flat based 50 grain soft point like an SX , Sierra Blitz, or a flat base dogtown. I think your on the right path. What is your intended goal, other than quiet? Varmints I would assume, or just a quiet plinker? I would expect some soot on the neck also.
The shortest bullet I have on hand is the 50 gr Midsouth varmint nightmare extreme. It measures .645" and shot pretty good today at ~1067 fps