Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-03-2016, 01:06 PM

Default 223Rem, increasing barrel life?

The 222 is known for good barrel life. As I have just put a deposit down on a Sako 85 Laminated Stainless Varmint in 223, 1-8 twist, I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions on loads that would increase the barrel life.

Should I try to get good accuracy with the bullets around 3100 fps?

My thought was to use 40-55 grain bullets in the mag, and when a long range shot is possible, I`ll single load a 75 grain A-max.

I have an Mark 4, 16x40 scope in Sako Ringmounts that will sit on top. So I should have more then enough "clicks" for longer range shots
Old 02-03-2016, 02:11 PM

The bench rest guys made a calculator for barrel life based on actual load data.

https://www.google.dk/url?sa=t&rct=j...UZ0Gboq2VyKeEA

It says a standard 55gr loading gets an easy 7.5k shots and that is, mind you, based on their strict standards for group size.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:30 PM

Default 223 Barrel Life

I would not worry about 223 barrel life. It took me 12K rounds of full loads to burn up a 223 barrel.

Shoot and enjoy.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:42 PM
Supporting Member

It'll cost much more to shoot out a barrel than replace it. That said, I recall reading that stick powders have less wear and tear than ball. Lower temps and different burn characteristics.

Have fun wearing it out.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:14 PM
Supporting Member

Default barrel life

I agree with the previous statements but...it really depends on how your going to shoot it and maintain it. You can trash that barrel in 500 rounds if you want or baby it and probably never have to consider rebarreling it. Your buying a pretty nice rifle(read that as pricey), I doubt it gets relegated to truck duty or loaner status. Barrels are consumables, shoot it enough or the wrong way and you will have to rebarrel it, it's the nature of the sport. If we were talking a 22-250 the advice is probably a little different but what do I know. I've never had a 223 that I shot out unless it came with a lot of miles on it when I bought it. Even then it was more a desire to update than it really needing it. I have 3 223's that are strictly PD guns, all have over 3K rounds and all 3 still shoot well....maybe some day......
Old 02-03-2016, 04:21 PM

Default .223 barrel life

I have worn out two .223 barrels. The first, a stock Savage, went at 3300 rounds. Groups opened to over an inch and it was replaced with a Criterion prefit. That one went 7200 and was still shooting pretty good but got very hard to clean. Put another Criterion on and expect a couple of squirrel seasons from it.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:34 PM

Harold M. et al., the cracking pattern in the barrel is definitely thermal fatigue caused by the rapid heating of the surface by shooting, especially shooting at a rapid cycle rate. In a former life, I used to work on development of hot rolling rolls for steel mills. Even though they were flooded with water for cooling, the hot rolls developed the typical "mud flat cracking" pattern from thermal fatigue.

Northman, if you want the barrel to last, make sure you try to not let your barrel get so hot you can't touch it with a bare hand.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:43 PM

Cool formula.
Looks like my 22-284 barrel is going to last just just under 600 rounds.

John
Old 02-06-2016, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnly View Post
Cool formula.
Looks like my 22-284 barrel is going to last just just under 600 rounds.

John
My 6mm/284 barrel was pretty well "fried" at around 600 rounds too.
Bob
Old 02-06-2016, 05:04 AM

Default hBN

I use hBN coating on my projectiles to hopefully obtain longer barrel life. Their have been quite a few articles written on the subject over the years so I am trialling it, but it will take me some years to really ascertain if it does help in barrel wear.
Here are a couple articles:
http://bench-talk.com/163

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...bn-to-bullets/
Pete