Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-08-2008, 10:28 PM

Cool Here is some comparison pictures....

I have posted these before here. But I thought they would be good reference for you to compare with.

(Left-Right): 257 Weatherby, 25-06 Rem, 257 Roberts, 25 Souper, 257 DGR, 250 Savage, 25-35 Win, 25 BR, 25 Copperhead, 256 WinMag, 25-20WCF

Even better though quality of picture is poor:

(Left-Right): 25 Copperhead (25-222), 25 Viper, 25-20WCF, 218 Bee
25 Viper case courtesy of Bob (Foxhunter) Davidson

25 Viper is based on the Mach IV case. Foxhunter can give more details if you are interested. It was a for fun case dummy. But should be semiclose to the 25-221.
Old 11-08-2008, 11:00 PM

Dr. Bubba, you wouldn't believe how long and hard I searched for this forearm. Folks don't swap out stocks on Ruger single shots like they do tupperware stocked bolt guns. Ruger says it is a factory installed only part.

I will try to remember you and this thread should I want to get rid of it. My thoughts now are that if I did rebarrel the Ruger to keep the factory barrel and forearm as is so I could put it back original if I wanted to.

What is a Mach IV case?
Old 11-09-2008, 02:26 AM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

terry the 25 viper is a shortened 221 fb case with about the same capacity as the 218 bee improved
noticed you don't have a 250 savage AI 40*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bubba View Post
I have posted these before here. But I thought they would be good reference for you to compare with.

(Left-Right): 257 Weatherby, 25-06 Rem, 257 Roberts, 25 Souper, 257 DGR, 250 Savage, 25-35 Win, 25 BR, 25 Copperhead, 256 WinMag, 25-20WCF

Even better though quality of picture is poor:

(Left-Right): 25 Copperhead (25-222), 25 Viper, 25-20WCF, 218 Bee
25 Viper case courtesy of Bob (Foxhunter) Davidson

25 Viper is based on the Mach IV case. Foxhunter can give more details if you are interested. It was a for fun case dummy. But should be semiclose to the 25-221.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:05 AM

Wink Good eye...

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxhunter View Post
terry the 25 viper is a shortened 221 fb case with about the same capacity as the 218 bee improved
noticed you don't have a 250 savage AI 40*
Actually I have a 250 AI somewhere. I just have not put a picture up yet. I do
have a shot of the 257DGR with a 250 AI. Very close cartridges by design.

Hope you are doing well FB?
DB
Old 11-09-2008, 04:10 AM

Default Sounds like fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenK View Post
Dr. Bubba, you wouldn't believe how long and hard I searched for this forearm. Folks don't swap out stocks on Ruger single shots like they do tupperware stocked bolt guns. Ruger says it is a factory installed only part.

I will try to remember you and this thread should I want to get rid of it. My thoughts now are that if I did rebarrel the Ruger to keep the factory barrel and forearm as is so I could put it back original if I wanted to.

What is a Mach IV case?
17 Mach IV case is a wildcat that now the 17 Fireball is replacing. The guys can tell you more. There is an article on it in Saubier.com articles if I remember right. It is a variant of the 221 Fireball wildcatted to a 17 Fireball-like cartridge.

I do believe how hard it is to find a different stock. I never did it. You may be the first one I have even had a chance to dialog about it. I have the 218 Barrel sitting as a switch barrel for my now 25-20. But I am not planning on setting this back to original. I would swap forearm for forearm if I could but I would buy one if it was not factory cost since they wanted an arm and leg and even said they would not do it at one point. Ruger is a bit proud of themselves if you ask me.

Let us know what you do. Any quarterbore I would be interested in and if you do the 25-221 then I will want to collect as much info and experience from you as I can.

Good luck,
DB
Old 11-09-2008, 11:46 AM
Supporting Member

Its a shame that Ruger has changed so much, back in the eary 70 they would swap out forends, no questions asked. I had a few # 1s back then and running around out there is a bunch of NIB rare variations #1 in collections. I kept one that had the salt cured (they don't talk about this much) stocks, tried recently to exchange it but said they MAY do it but I have to send the whole gun back. Thanks to a member here I don't have to now.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:19 PM

Well, I picked up my rifle today. I didn't want to order dies until I had it in hand but one week from tommorow cast bullets will be heading down range, assuming Midway provides their usual good service.

First firearm I ever bought online, it took one week from the end of the auction until I accepted it from my FFL. If the stock market would turn around I could be dangerous.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:17 PM

Hi Guys,

I'm going to show some ignorance here, but what do you use the small quarter bores for? The 250 savage and bigger I can see as great deer cartridges. However, the smaller ones like the copperhead or fireball don't look to be terribly useful. They are a little anemic for deer, there aren't any great varmint bullets for them and even for varmints they wouldn't have the best trajectory. I could see them as coyote sized game guns, but given the trajectory they'd be 200 yard cartridges at best. At that point why not keep the parent cartridge and extend some yardage? Same idea for varmints.

I can see them as plinkers, but again there are better options.

What am I missing? Are they 'just because' kinda cartridges?

Thanks,
Rick
Old 11-15-2008, 07:14 PM

Talking Good points...

Quote:
Originally Posted by casts_by_fly View Post
Hi Guys,

I'm going to show some ignorance here, but what do you use the small quarter bores for? The 250 savage and bigger I can see as great deer cartridges. However, the smaller ones like the copperhead or fireball don't look to be terribly useful. They are a little anemic for deer, there aren't any great varmint bullets for them and even for varmints they wouldn't have the best trajectory. I could see them as coyote sized game guns, but given the trajectory they'd be 200 yard cartridges at best. At that point why not keep the parent cartridge and extend some yardage? Same idea for varmints.

I can see them as plinkers, but again there are better options.

What am I missing? Are they 'just because' kinda cartridges?

Thanks,
Rick
Yep this may fall under the "just because" reasoning. At least for me anyway.

Yes the copperhead was designed to reach out to about 200yards by John Wootters. The rifle itself was compact and the combo of rifle with case was for varmint calling on game up to about a coyote. He may have used it on Javelina too which would be a fine option. A cartridge that can kill cleanly out to 200yards is a great option for yotes, fox, bobcat, and so on. May not be a pelt optimal though.

Yes there is not a big choice on lightweight 25cal bullets. 75gr and up for nice spitzer varmint bullets. Wootters used a 75gr in his rig. We did have a few other options for awhile like Starke made a 70gr and Berger made 72gr and 78gr. I gather long ago there was Speers 60gr spitzer but it is gone too. Some of us still have some of the Starke and Bergers left but no more supply of them. There is Wildcat bullets in Canada who produces a 75gr and if enough were order he might even try a 70gr bullet.
But still you are right there is not alot to chose from.

I do not feel they are plinkers only. I think the high velocity small caliber cartridges just give us that feeling the small quarterbores are plinkers.

They are fun and accurate cartridges and shooting quarterbore is just fun. Fun means practical may go out the window for some us.

Anyway, you make good points.
DB
Old 11-15-2008, 11:08 PM

Where I live 100 yards is a long shot. I think the 25 Copperhead would do fine on our small to medium size deer. Contrary to popular opinion, the Sierra 90 grain HPBT is a deer bullet. The 75 grain Sierra HP is another excellent bullet.

Also, I shoot 300 days per year, I've shot at least 5,000 rounds through my rifles the past 12 months. As far as I can recollect, the only thing I've killed this past year was a crow and I didn't particulary want to shoot it. It was to make an example for the others not to eat the food I put out for the Turkeys.