Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-25-2015, 01:09 AM

Default KG "NaNo" coating....

Guys, I posted this at 24 Hour Campfire, and am posting it here in case anyone is interested in this new product from KG:

I coated a barrel and action today using KG's new coating they call "NaNo" (wife was out of town so I had unrestricted access to the kitchen oven wink ). I like the stuff a lot. NaNo only comes in flat colors, but there is a broad selection. They want you to silica etch the part first with 120 grit (blast it) and then apply KG phos, which is a cold phosphating product which apparently also has a resin carrier which bonds with the KG NaNo when it is applied and heated. I like the system a lot. They say it exceeds all milspec and aerospace requirements (whatever that means) and exceeds all their prior products for wear resistance. We'll see how it lasts. I sure like the way it went on and how it looks out of the oven. The other thing they are claiming is that it is formulated in such a way that the particle sizes are oriented so that the larger particles are on bottom and smaller ones on top so the finish is denser. Could just be advertising hype. We'll see.

Jordan
Old 07-25-2015, 02:30 AM

You Painted a Gun?
Old 07-25-2015, 04:18 AM

Yes! I'll be a coyote gun in a plastic stock, so I figured it would be okay not to blue.
Old 07-25-2015, 04:51 AM

Prepare now to pay the price in the afterlife. Larry
Old 07-25-2015, 06:15 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

GO git 'em Larry!!!

Jordan: Sounds like just another fancy name claim for Powder coating of some kind. We didn't talk about finish, I just assumed by mistake it turned out that Kevin Weaver would polish n blue my big bore build. After it was done and paid for I went to pick it up and he'd painted it dull black with that other crap coating, cant' think of it right now. does look nice, but, I see marks to the metal already so it's not as good as he and the company claims.

I doubt it can be cleaned off without bead blasting now. SO reckon I'll have to live with it.
Hope yours lasts longer than what I feel this is going to.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 07-25-2015, 06:55 AM

George:

I guess I've lowered my standards over the years as far as moving away from a nice blued finish to these damn spray on coatings. I've done these coatings on a few rifles and one of the reasons I like them is because it's something I can actually do myself (since I'm no gunsmith and highly unskilled). KG is a phenolic resin so I think its different than powder coating, but heck if I know. By comparison, I think Cerakote is a catalyzed system with ceramic particles. I've never used Cerakote, but its got a very good reputation. If Kevin used Cerakote on your rifle I think it will be very, very wear resistant. I just wanted to share my experience with the KG because I've always liked their stuff and they say this new "NaNo" is a big technological leap forward for them. Time will tell.

Who do you like for bluing? I've used Glenrock Blue a few times and thought their work was outstanding. Not nearly as many outfits bluing rifles as there used to be, it seems.

Jordan
Old 07-25-2015, 02:42 PM
Supporting Member

I want to Melonite a few barrels and then think about the bolts and receivers. Still trying to learn if it is significantly different from other forms of nitriding.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:33 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Jordan:
Yep, cerakote, is what Weaver put on it. I don't think it's as durable as claimed. I'd left the rifle laying on a table and went to another range to bs one day. Next shots were 5 feet to the side and marks on the gun like it had fallen. Two weeks later I got a 'email: "I couldn't find you, looked your rifle over and dropped or knocked it over, hope it wasn't hurt". WTH does anyone have business touching things?? Weaver had to get it readjusted as I couldn't.

Anyway, there's bare metal showing at least three places along the barrel from that little doings.

Had a real good local smith here that can't be beat for bluing or smithing. Trouble is, he's retired now. He started this build then I got it back to do the stock and to return for finishing. while I had it , I got sick. then the gun was buried under boxes for another year and I thought sure it had been stolen too. I'd ordered a new barrel and reamer then Jack said he didn't want to finish it, or start another build. SO I went looking for a new smith and had Weaver do it.

Seems like that's the way life works. Soon as you find someone that's good and reasonable, they either move, die, or retire. I have two guns that need a bit of work, may see if Jack wants to tinker with them. One's a snubby smith that needs less trigger pull, the other is a rifle that won't eject, it extracts fine, just drops the case in the valley. Always something it seems.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"