Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2015, 02:51 PM

second the reply on the powder dump out the side.
Horrible moment in life when the powder hits the floor, due to an over site of checking to see if the hole was open or closed.

Over all, I do like my chargemaster. About a year ago, I had a glitch that it was reading almost double the actual weight typed in. I called RCBS. I was inquiring if there was a reset button. There is not.
After I went back to the scale and doing it by hand. I plugged back in the chargemaster a month or so later, and everything was back to normal. I weighed every thing for the first 100. Then every three.
I've read online that one can adjust the speed of the machine. I have not been able to get those internet notes to work out and make it faster.

Over all. I like the one I have. I'd buy it again if this one dies.
Old 07-21-2015, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by william t. oviatt View Post
Yeah G'son....you got that pegged about forgetting to close the powder drain before loading new powder!

What a "revolting development" results from doing this!!!! Nothing compares to watching your expensive, hard to find, ideal powder draining on your feet and for a moment, trying to figure what is going on! Then the realization that the operator has made a critical error!

If I had any input into a design for the drain, I would make it spring-loaded to be normally shut, requiring to be held open when draining and then it goes to closed position automatically!!!

Thanks for sharing that I am not the only one to have done this....Or, maybe I am!!!!AAARGH!

Bill
Been there. Done that.
Old 07-26-2015, 02:36 PM

I've been using the RCBS Load Master Combo unit for around 2 years and can't say enough good things about it. It's the best thing going since sliced bread. Great at putting out accurate powder measurements. I'll get a few that are off but not many. When I do I just dump the charge back in the hopper and let it put out another charge in the pan. It's really sped up my reloading to get a powder charge run while I'm seating the bullet in the case I just charged. It makes for a very smooth operation. Best addition to my bench I ever made.
I've said a few bad words when I forgot to close the powder drain too....... lol

Last edited by Huntnlabs; 07-26-2015 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 03:43 PM
Supporting Member

Send a message via AIM to SShooterZ
Thumbs up

Chargemaster user here also. Powder dumper by forgetting to close the drain user also. Have had mine about 5 years and have been very happy with it. I used some of the online tweaks to speed it up and it will fill a .223 case in about the time it takes me to seat a bullet so I can keep a consistent cadence going.

Sorry, no experience with the others.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:17 PM

Bill, You asked about the Hornady. I bought it as a first time reloader and reload for 204, 17 hornet and some 243. I try to measure out to 1/10th of a grain and have trouble getting the Hornady to accurately dispense the powder. It often goes over my set weight. To remedy, I set for 2 or 3 10ths less than I need and then trickle the rest by hand. I do not know what other reloaders do with the small capacity cases like the 17 hornet, but I am not real happy with the performance of this Hornady automatic powder dispenser. I am considering going to a higher end manual powder dispenser.
Burt
Old 07-27-2015, 07:41 AM

I haven't had any problems with my RCBS Chargemaster measuring out small charges. I've done loads for .45 ACP and .17-222 doing load graduation increases of .3 gr and it's always measured it out for what I programed it to do. Occasionally it will over charge but not often.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:40 PM

Huntnlabs
I agree with you: When the 1500 works, it is a dream! and it has made reloading much more enjoyable and faster for me....I will never go back to balance-beam scale! Guess because it is so integral to my reloading, I really hate when it acts up!
Bill
Old 07-27-2015, 04:30 PM
Supporting Member

I did discover something with my 1500 that concerns me. I am not bashing the product as I do not want to go back to a manual measure but it has me questioning if they are playing games with the programming. I was loading for a 17 TCM that I am trying to get to shoot. I was loading 9.2 to 9.5 grains of WW296 in .1 gr. increments. I will give an example of what I discovered. I dumped 9.3 grains into a case. Changed the 1500 to dump 9.4 grains and dumped it back into the hopper. I then dumped the original load of 9.3 and it weighted 9.4. I next changed it to dump 9.2 grains and threw that into the hopper. Re-weighed the original load of 9.3 and now it weighs 9.2. Maybe I'm being anal but it concerns me, but not enough to abandon my Chargemaster. I do plan to do further testing.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:12 PM

Hummm That sounds strange. You could check your charges with a balance beam scale and see what they weigh compared to the 1500 weights. I'm with you on the switching back. It's just too nice to have your next charge ready after seating the bullet in a charged case.