Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-21-2015, 07:54 PM

Default Shipping Brass Out of USA

Can rifle brass be shipped from the USA to South Africa?
Thanks!
Jim
Old 07-21-2015, 08:46 PM

Found this on another website.........

Is an export license required for reloading equipment?

No. Reloading equipment can be shipped without a license. Export licenses are required for bullets, brass, gun parts, and many firearm accessories. We will inform you if your order requires an export license.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:51 AM
Supporting Member

I have friends here and other sites who send brass & projectiles on a regular basis. It may not comply with the regulations but its never been a problem for either party.

A mate a fella in the US make some enquiries and was told " if you are not shipping commercial quantities it wont be a problem" I don't know where he got the advice from but it seems to be the accepted standard. I know lots of blokes down here get stuff posted, the only no no is gun parts, yet maagaines and barrels don't cause a problem either.

Johno
Old 07-22-2015, 04:14 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Johno:
Friend Jack in Md, used to send quite a bunch of stuff out to RSA and sambar02, remember him?

He ordered a few hundred bullets sent to Jack, he reshipped them. Homeland security nailed the package and made an appointment for two of them to go visit Jack face to face at his place. Chewed his ass enough with threats about it being a felony if he was caught again. Ian lost his bullets and postage.

I used to do the same thing for several both in OZ and UK. Talking it over with Jack, I'm not going to take a chance of it again. I just backed out of a deal with our friend Steve over it after I'd told him I'd do it. Still feel bad but, like he agreed it's just not worth it to lose the bullets, brass etc and take a chance on a big fine or jail for a yr or more.

No way I can recall where it was located now, but , seems like reference was to section 24 or 27 of the homeland security laws/regs that covers brass, bullets and such. I'd highly recommend looking that section up and reading it.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"

Last edited by georgeld; 07-22-2015 at 04:18 AM. Reason: more
Old 07-22-2015, 04:49 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Ohiochuck:

Friend Jack just came here to post himself and can't find his sign in info.
said to have you contact him direct at: titewad15@hotmail.com

The PH he was shipping to is now using: Reloading International for his source.

Hope this helps everyone with this question.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 07-22-2015, 05:41 AM
Supporting Member

George,

That certainly sheds a different light on things, he must have been unlucky though but your right its a big chance if they are getting fairdinkum.

I do recall a US senator jumping up and down a couple of years back the " stupid restrictions to friendly nations" I guess he was a lone voice.

I do know reloading parts as in dies & parts there of are not restricted nor are " non tactical " scopes

Johno
Old 07-22-2015, 06:53 AM

George is 100% right as his mate Jack had sent a few little packages to me previously as we both thought it was OK till Jack got a visit. I even sent the B709 to Jack for him to out into the packages and customs here inspected the packages and sent them on to me as all good. But it is the USA end that the problem with the law is.
Pete
Old 07-22-2015, 04:09 PM

I just sent 5 pounds of M1Carbine (about 500 pieces) brass to Texas - I need no permits to export anything other that actions. As to what is needed at the receiving end, I do not know. Considering it was made in the States to start with, there should not be a problem.
Over the last year, I've been mailing (standard mail) "inert" large bore wildcat ctg. cases to Spain - again, no problems at either end.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:35 PM

I am thinking that the export restrictions are also based on the value of the items being sent with inexpensive items not subject to the restrictions. Larry
Old 07-23-2015, 12:50 AM

It's my understanding that ITAR comes into play with this. It's basically a no go unless you can get the supplier in the US to get an export permit.

Unless the person in the US likes jail time.