Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2015, 01:26 AM

One other thing - it appears to be illegal for a US citizen or US company/store to sell/send a Canadian CITIZEN a scope, trigger, action or any other gun part, without the proper export permits. This appears to be a HLS ruling/law/made up regulation or whatever. It carries healthy or rather very unhealthy penalties.

I was told Midway was fined $250,000.00 for selling scopes to Canadians for 2 years after the ruling came out during the Clinton Administration - that was an agreement between the Cdn. Liberals and B. Clinton for the scope embargo. At that time, the Liberals thought all scope mounted hunting rifles were sniper rifles of a type used by the military for killing innocent citizens in foreign lands - here, they still do think that - as a matter of fact.
Old 07-23-2015, 03:35 AM

Just out of Curiosity I looked up the fines for violation of the "International Traffic in Arms Regulations" (ITAR) the code of Federal regulations that the State Department uses to control the import / export of arms and ammunition and just about everything else that a Bureaucrat could dream up. Midway only got fined half of the amount the "law" allows.
Yep, it can be a half a Million bucks for a first offense and a full Million plus 10 years in Leavenworth for the second. The State Department Doesn’t see any difference between a Rocket Launcher and a Weaver K-4.
Personally, I would rather not find out how Mr. Kerry's State Department feels about reloading components.
Old 07-23-2015, 05:43 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Doubt Leavenworth when Super Max is just up the crik 30miles. A felony here means: You've lost ALL gun rights for the rest of your life, even if no fine or jail.

I don't know the laws from Canada down here, but, it's anything going out of the US that's the problem. After Clinton, things have gone down hill since. Now with this asshole in office trying to put the screws to everyone everyway he can before he's gone. I don't think it's worth the gamble.
NRA is working on correcting things but, that takes years and big bucks.

Glad everyone is understanding. Any questions, I posted Jack's e'mail and he's willing to discuss it with any of you that wish to contact him. HLS visitors made quite an impression on him that day. He and I had both been reshipping lots of things out of country til then. He's the only one I'm aware of that was talked to.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"

Last edited by georgeld; 07-23-2015 at 05:49 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 07-23-2015, 10:51 AM
Supporting Member

While not relating to shipping brass this mentions shipping scopes, rings and bases to UK, NZ and Aussie...........I notice Canada is missing.

U.S. Dept of Commerce as of October 2014.

'Rimfire rifle scopes are classified as ECCN OA987 under the U.S. Dept of Commerce BIS export rules. Mounts (rings and bases) and tools for mounting optical sights are classified as ECCN EA99. There are no U.S. Dept of Commerce or State restrictions or controls on the export of ECCN OA989 and EA99 to the following countries ONLY. Australia, UK and New Zealand. No export license is required to ship to these three countries".

Kiwi
Old 07-23-2015, 11:05 AM

Default Sticky.....

Man! There is a lot of info in this post! You guys have gone to the trouble to help educate....This ought to be posted as a "Sticky" for fast reference!

This is one of the reasons I like this site so much: everyone chimes in to make a fuller discussion and better understanding of a subject....we all benefit so greatly from each other!

Thanks to all that posted on this!

Bill

Last edited by william t. oviatt; 07-23-2015 at 11:53 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-23-2015, 02:24 PM
Supporting Member

Not brass or reloading products but, a few years ago I shipped a tactical style shot gun stock to Australia. It went in two different boxes, "per the recievers request". (now I know why)
First box went thru customs with no problems. Second box got held up.
Customs went after the guy like a bunch of mad hornets. Last I heard, he ended up being treated like a real BAD GUY. Took his computer and treated him pretty rough. Never heard any more from him.
My advice? Never ship anything to OZ that you're not sure about.

As far as shipping anything to Canada? My big sister shipped a blouse to a friend living in Canada. Took 3 months to clear Customs.

Neither one of us ever got any flack from the Oz or Canadian customs.
I wonder if Australian Customs would let me in if I came to visit or am I on their $hit list??
Old 07-23-2015, 04:14 PM

Had no trouble with Mauser bolt bodies - scope-bolt installed - professionally. NP- they had the Aussie import license and NP- 3 months by boat, though. For an extra $20.00 they could have flown, but that would have increased the price by 33%. Seems to me, they were only $30.0 Cdn.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:26 PM
Supporting Member

here lies the problem our end. Obviously the bloke who had you post the stock knew that tactical stocks were a no no. I'm glad you did'nt get in to any trouble.

We have a very easy sytem, you apply online for an import permit, no cost and most times you have it in a week. When the cases, projectiles etc arrive they are grabbed by customs. You get a letter giving you 30 days to produce a permit, once they get that the items are released back into in the mail system.

If you try and bring something in that you know is not permitted then you just have to accept having your finger nails torn out one by one

Johno
Old 07-24-2015, 12:44 AM

For us Canadians, I hear the ole "never had any issues before" line lots. That doesn't make it legal. It's not an issue on our end. If it gets across the border you will get your item however it's the export permits and ITAR violations on the U.S. side that is the issue. ITAR rules apply to most countries and it also includes intellectual property, not just physical parts.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:10 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

One of our members in the UK has had bullets, brass and gun parts shipped from the US. Many times the items are half what the postage costs, then customs on his end snags 'em and he has to pay $40 or more import taxes.
That sure ruins any savings a person might have come up with by buying over here.

12yrs ago I shipped about 20 boxes of hunting books, clothes, game calls, scopes and lots of other items to a group of guys in Au. They'd send me a list of things to put in a box and send. They claimed the savings more than paid for the outrageous shipping costs. the time it took by boat was over 2-3 months on some of it. More than doubled that if by air. I know some of those boxes held less than $100 worth of contents, shipping was $200 on some of them. I just have a hard time understanding the costs involved.

I agree, this question is asked often enough it should be kept as a sticky, good idea Bill.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"