Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-27-2013, 05:59 PM

Default Forming .22-250 from .308?

I got some .308 ammunition for free, maybe about 120 rounds. I have just fired all of it. These are Federal cases. There are too few cases to bother using for Highower competion. I was wondering if, under the current climate, this would be worth forming to .22-250, considering that I got the ammunition for free.

Danny
Old 05-27-2013, 06:01 PM

Default Forming 22-350 from 308

if You need more 22-250, instead of 308, then why not ? Bill K
Old 05-27-2013, 07:48 PM

Used to do it a lot back in the 60's only then I was doing it to 30/06 brass (with an inside neck reamer)
Old 05-27-2013, 11:18 PM

It actually produces pretty good .22-250 brass. But, the form die set ( RCBS ) I bought on Ebay contains 5 different dies that the .308 must go through to produce a usable .22-250 case. Like you, I received a LOT of .308 brass, but until .22-250 brass is un-obtainable, I'll continue to use it first.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauls View Post
It actually produces pretty good .22-250 brass. But, the form die set ( RCBS ) I bought on Ebay contains 5 different dies that the .308 must go through to produce a usable .22-250 case. Like you, I received a LOT of .308 brass, but until .22-250 brass is un-obtainable, I'll continue to use it first.
I am leaning more towards selling rather than forming, at this point, but may still consider it. If the political conditions were not as they are, causing shortages, I would not consider forming. However, I still need to round up dies, and the case holder for my Wilson trimmer, among other things I need for other projects. By that time, brass could be more readily available.

Danny
Old 05-28-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
I am leaning more towards selling rather than forming, at this point, but may still consider it. If the political conditions were not as they are, causing shortages, I would not consider forming. However, I still need to round up dies, and the case holder for my Wilson trimmer, among other things I need for other projects. By that time, brass could be more readily available.

Danny
That's a good decision! Despite the brass being "free", by the time you get forming dies you will be upside down with this project from a cost standpoint. Sell or trade the 308 brass for some 22-250. 22-250 can still be found if you're a bit patient. I just picked up 400 for my son at pre-crazy prices but it took a few weeks for thr right deal to come along. Besides, I like having the proper headstamp on my brass (excepting my wildcats of course)
Old 05-27-2013, 11:56 PM

Not wanting to pop anybody's balloon but forming 22-250 brass using .308 is about a 30 second job for each piece maybe less time once you get the hang of it. All you need is one 22-250 FL sizing die preferably an RCBS, one case trimmer maybe a LEE power trimmer, possibly a Wilson inside case reamer, and Imperial sizing die wax. Only apply Imperial on case body and case neck not on .308 neck so as not to wrinkle where the old neck was and the new 22-250 neck.

No need to anneal newly formed brass. Doing 100 cases should not wear you out if it does do the case forming in 2 days.

Fireform the new cases with heavier bullets like 55 grn jammed into barrel twice both times using a powder that will safely let you fill the case to mid neck level, like 4895 does. Do this when you have a couple days that will let concentrate on doing a good job.

Stephen Perry

Last edited by stephen perry 1; 05-28-2013 at 12:03 AM.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:23 AM

I see Stephen has the same idea.

Friend of mine, now passed away, made me a die that converted .308 to 6mm BR in one pass - no failures - slam dunk - lube very lightly and size. The reason for this move to 6mm(or close), when I needed them to be .30 BR, was due to the fact that a #1 drill was the correct size to run down the die for true inside neck reaming and truing the case in one step so the necks were the right thickness for my .30BR. They were then necked up to .30 for fire forming and shooting.
A .308 die will shove the shoulder of a .30/06 back over 1/2', so why won't a set of .22-250 dies do the work of converting .308's to .22-250's?

I'd simply try the Seater first, seating stem removed, then trim to length, then FL size and load. Might have to inside neck ream them.

This makes me wonder why a company wants a person to buy 3 or 4 dies to push a neck back 2/10's inch and taper the case.

My .308's down to 6BR was in one step, trim to length, ream, neck up to .30 and done. The .22-250's should be even easier.

Of course if someone is willing to pay the money for something they don't need, someone else will make them a tool to buy to fill that need or desire.