Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-23-2019, 01:42 PM
Supporting Member

i carry a .41 Mag blackerhawk in this https://www.diamonddcustomleather.co...-chest-holster
Old 09-23-2019, 02:40 PM

The ccw instructor I used told another in the class, if your going to an area planning you will need a gun, your going to the wrong area. How about a Mossberg Shockwave loaded with buckshot, so you don't need to use your off hand. For Black Bear, or MT Lion I would also go with a 10mm or 45 acp+P semi auto. Still I would prefer the Shockwave or a Marlin guide gun in .45-70 if I actually thought I might see a bear running my direction. That being said I carry a 4" S&W 629 with 300 grain xtp handloads, but mountain lions are the only possible issue and they are very well fed where I hunt.
Old 09-25-2019, 01:34 PM

Its nice to carry a firearm, but to use it effectively is another deal. I had a friend by a 629 for unfriendly animals and such. He showed it to me. I asked what he planned for it and he said bear protection. I said ok well how fast can a bear cover 25 yards and how fast can you ACCURATELY empty this firearm. I put a target up which was a 2x2 piece of plywood and said you have to hit within 12" of center as fast as you can. 5 seconds for accurate fire. I said well you might get 1 round on the bear and that was with 240gr loads not bear loads hard cast.

Its nice to think your protected but actuality is real. I hear it all the time as I am a firearms instructor. "Well it shot good yesterday", "Something is wrong with the sights" " I'm a little off today" Sorry folks your skills just are not where you think they are.
Old 09-25-2019, 04:08 PM

Probably 2 shots. The Shockwave would be the second best answer after not going where you thought the bear was going to be. That or go hiking with Jerry Miculek. Unless you were out and run into a sow with her cub, I don't think a black bear is going to charge you. When I went to Glacier International Park in my youth, they told us to talk loudly and or ring a bell as we walker to notify the locals you were there. It was rather disturbing to read signs that said, "when your attacked" rather than "IF". My guess is they were trying to make sure you were cautious when hiking.
Old 09-25-2019, 04:50 PM

21 Feet / 1 Second Rule... attacker with knife can cover 20' and stab you before even an Expert/Professional shooter could draw his gun from holster.

Typically after a 2-4 hour session teaching a new shooter for self defense style shooting (grip, sight acquisition, trigger control, drawing from holster, magazine reloading, etc.), the newbie has shot 150 - 250 rounds. This results in lots of pieces of brown tape covering the holes in the target. One of the final drills is to walk shooter all the way up to arm's length from target and have them draw their gun and dump the entire magazine. The effect is that the muzzle blast from of each shot bounces back off the target and reverberate through the shooter, and the pieces of tape get blown off the target and are fluttering around in the air... it is overwhelming and visceral and for the shooter everything goes slow motion. The shooters always have the same reaction... elation from being able to do it as well as nausea from the reality of what just occurred. This is what a gunfight will feel like if your attacker charges...if you can get your pistol out in time then you will be making your shots at point blank range... Fastest shooters still take approx. 1 second to clear holster...and these guys are shooting 50K-200K rounds or more a year.

World Record - Fastet Revolver Shooting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNFW8eSzb44

Fast Shooting from Holster
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dOVZ5TRCUw

Last edited by Oso Polaris; 09-27-2019 at 01:14 AM.
Old 09-26-2019, 01:48 AM
Supporting Member

20 Feet / 1 Second Rule...?

Is that the same as Touller's 21 Foot Rule?

I recognize that there is 1 foot of distance and a 0.5 second difference between the two. However, I've never heard of the 20 Feet/1 Second Rule being discussed in defensive shooting when someone brings a knife to a gun fight....

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 09-26-2019, 04:18 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

In CC class one of the RO's pulled a target 21 feet for a test.

"see if you can put two in the chest and one in the head."

I got four off: extra one was in the face on the way up. 6" K-38

Funny thing, another RO, a show off and I were to shoot together 3
knockdown targets each at 30 feet.

Ol'Dick: I shot my 3/3, he fired 6/0. For kicks I shot his 3/3 too.

"what are you doing?" "looked like you needed all the help you could get"
Class full got a big laugh.

Later he caught me alone: "you sure embarrassed me" "anyone teaching a
class like this that can't shoot any better than you can should be embarrassed"

George telling it like it is again.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 09-27-2019, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou City Boy View Post
20 Feet / 1 Second Rule...?

Is that the same as Touller's 21 Foot Rule?

I recognize that there is 1 foot of distance and a 0.5 second difference between the two. However, I've never heard of the 20 Feet/1 Second Rule being discussed in defensive shooting when someone brings a knife to a gun fight....

-BCB
BCB - what's you talking about .... it says 21'... now
Old 09-27-2019, 01:59 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Polaris View Post
BCB - what's you talking about .... it says 21'... now
I see that you corrected the incorrect 20 foot part today: (Last edited by Oso Polaris; Today at 08:14 PM.) But you didn't correct it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Polaris View Post
21 Feet / 1 Second Rule... attacker with knife can cover 20' (21 feet) and stab you before even an Expert/Professional shooter could draw his gun from holster.
Touller's 21 Foot Rule also says 21 feet in 1.5 seconds. Not in 1 second as you originally stated and then left it "as is" after you corrected the footage error at the start of our quote........

In addition, there's actually a lot more to the original Touller Rule than you incorrectly depicted by simply saying, ".... attacker with knife can cover 20' and stab you before even an Expert/Professional shooter could draw his gun from holster."

It involves an actual plan to not only shoot the attacker, but also how to use existing obstacles and your movement to assist in evading the attack as you encounter him and his knife with your handgun. Law enforcement agencies all over the country used, and some still use, his tactics in officer training.

Carry on............

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 09-27-2019 at 02:13 AM. Reason: removed [/quote]...................
Old 09-27-2019, 04:09 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

BCB: picky picky, but, you're right.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"