Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-08-2019, 01:22 PM

Default Burris Timberline 4.5-14x32 experience

Has anyone used the Burris Timberline 4.5-14x32? Any good or bad points to its use?
Old 09-08-2019, 02:20 PM

I have three, all on rimfires I use for groundhogs. The tic marks on the reticle line up close to the ballistics on a 17HMR. I like them for that and their compact size and light weight.
Old 09-08-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog Patrol View Post
I have three, all on rimfires I use for groundhogs. The tic marks on the reticle line up close to the ballistics on a 17HMR. I like them for that and their compact size and light weight.
I am hoping to use one on a Cooper 38, do you think the long eye relief would cause some mounting issues?
Old 09-08-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 218bee View Post
I am hoping to use one on a Cooper 38, do you think the long eye relief would cause some mounting issues?
Not familiar with that rifle but not a problem on an Annie .17HMR.
Old 09-08-2019, 05:56 PM

Thinking here now, I know I have at least four. I like them for what they are.

My ranges have diminished down to one indoor range; some of that is distance; some is cost. This range only has 25 yds and mainly is a pistol range, so the rifle shooters make due.

When I got my Ruger No.1 rimfires built I needed something that was relatively powerful in optical side, but not overly ponder the check book for my relatively new 22 rimfire world. I probably have had the four for 2 years or so, maybe longer, time passes now.

I started with the Nikon 3x9EFR thinking the 9x would be enough at 25 yds, but soon was looking over the fence. The little EFR is a very nice, clear scope; just needs more zip for me.

I looked at the Leupold EFR's, but price was out of my reach. I had a lot of 6x20 etc type Leupolds, so bought some 50 foot adapters, nice units if still available today. I once went to the indoor range with a 36 Leupold with 50 foot adapter, and that just did not work out well with the range benches...

So I finally bought a Burris 4.5x14 Timberline one Christmas time(sales). A foreign scope, Philippines I think; not the ritz but was impressed with the power relatively speaking and resolution........focuses very well at 25yds. Short and compact for its power range I think, 33mm front objective that might bother some night guys..........never had it out at night myself; so cannot comment on low light conditions.

So I set the power at 14x max, adjusted to see well at 25yds.......and never fool with it. So a pretty restrictive use here, but is all I need.

So that December or so with vendor and internet incentives, I bought three more. One is on a Ruger 1b 22lr, a Ruger 1a 22lr custom, a Ruger 1a 38/357 custom, and one on a Remington 541T-HB. The scope has enough resolution at 25yds to see the small tears in the paper, so ..............so far, so far impressed. Reading the previous reminds me I need on a 45acp No.1.

Being 6'5"+ with 37+ sleeves, eye relief is kinda foreign to me, but I can get a sharp, clear picture on the No.1's fwiw. Take a looksee at the specs and the ring placements to help decide. sometimes, tis just a leap of faith, as was mine in this rendition.........nothing else out there in the price range at the time, buy one, evaluate for YOUR needs, and reorder if need be.

How long will this scope last in other environments?.............I don't know, but not sure how much twisting around the plastic stuff will take; but in my limited useage environment, nothing I have found is better to me. I cannot venture to the field anymore, and knock things around; so hoping for the bet here.

I supsect that during the coming year, I probably will buy some more of them, with my disounts at the timeback a few yerars ago, 220-240 delivered. Probably over 300 now unless you look, just a guess. Sometime I will yearn.......maybe even buy, a high ranking Schmidt Bender, but that takes time and research, of which I have little of.

Read the post for basic content, was not intended to be a rah-rah type for this scope, it just fits my needs; and is probably better in performance than I expected. My luck with lesser cost scopes has fall in the well before, this one is so far an exception, but has a bigger name on the side of it.

Last edited by rick w.; 09-08-2019 at 05:59 PM.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:27 PM
Banned

Default Burris

Got one on my Ruger 77/17 HMR love it!!
Old 09-09-2019, 12:57 AM

Got 4. Great little scopes.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick w. View Post
adjusted to see well at 25yds.......and never fool with it.
If this is how you intend to use it, then it should work. However on the one I have, the various adjustments are not repeatable and the "clicks" and graduation markings are mostly meaningless. Due to the eye relief I tried it on a high recoil rifle. I sent it back with the reticle at a 45 after a long phone call explaining that the scope was not mounted at 45. They replaced it and did not return the lens covers or sun shade I had made for it.

I have some chineze scopes like this that I can't trust or use the knobs on; they cost $50 and have clearer glass. I think the only thing the burris has going for it, is size.

Last edited by flyrod; 09-09-2019 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:20 PM

I guess tis why I stated what I did. I tried to put some context with my comments rather than rah-rah it across the board. Every thing has its limitations. I read every day about folks buying economical scopes and then complaining about their performance in the long haul.

buy quality, sometimes you get it. Buy cheap....everyone has a new rope somewhere or other.......not much other outcome.

So in my environment, yeah, the foreign scope is not the ritz; but does the job I wanted and I tried to describe that in some detail. Won't happen again.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:57 PM
Banned

Default Burris

I'm sure you've always heard best scope for the money. Well, this one really is!