Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2019, 05:14 PM

Default You guys with CZ527 rifle conversions; Do your magazines work?

As mentioned, I want to convert a CZ 527 Hornet into a 20 Hornet repeater. (I'll hand feed at the range but still want a repeater function) Like the difference between a 6.5 Creedmoor and a 308Win in the same short action, I would have guessed that a 22 or 17 Hornet factory magazine would be able to feed a 20 Ackley hornet properly into the chamber. But it seems I've read some quick passing comments here in the archives that it doesn't work reliably. I don't know if it's wise to get involved in all the trouble & expense of buying the rifle, barrel, reamer, and smithing only to end up spending $1,700 on a repeater that doesn't feed properly.

Also, are the 17 hornet and 22 hornet CZ mags identical? If they are the same then it doesn't matter if I buy a 17H or 22H 527 as the donor. But if the mags are different and one magazine will work more reliably for a 20 H conversion then the other will, then I need to know which rifle to buy.

As always, thanks again for you input.

Last edited by Centerfire; 09-21-2019 at 05:18 PM.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:17 PM

The CZ magazine I have stated either 22H or 17H. I only have the 17H rifle. Bill K
Old 09-21-2019, 07:54 PM

Default Calhoon

You could just have James built you a 19 Calhoon ( 22 hornet case). When he is finished everything works. Some of my first groups were .21 and .31.
Old 09-21-2019, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 358SCOTT View Post
You could just have James built you a 19 Calhoon ( 22 hornet case). When he is finished everything works. Some of my first groups were .21 and .31.
I have thought about that, for my CZ 17 Hornet, but no lead free bullets, which I must use in CA now. I know a person can swagged down lead free 20 cal. but the is some extra work. But the 19 Calhoon would be a sweet one, I think. Bill K
Old 09-22-2019, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 358SCOTT View Post
Don't get me started on James Calhoon's 19 !!
...oops, too late! ...here I go;

It's a damn shame that J. Calhoon had refused to change. With his stellar reputation of providing personal great customer service and a fine shooting rifle, he really isolated himself and threw away a LOT of potential business from folks like myself who don't want his 19 invention jammed down our throat. Get with the program James, as the 20 cal's have been out for about 20 years already, at about the same time that most camera stores realized film was out and digital was in. Things change. I would have bought a 20 cal rifle, brass, and dies from him long ago if he only offered it. He could have simply kept his 19 Calhoon for those who own it or want it, but also offered a 17, and 20cal in a wildcat Ackley Hornet, with dies and brass, etc. That way he could have been the boutique store for all small Hornets with so much more business. Bill Alexander tried doing the same proprietary thing with his licensed Grendel, and the shooting world lost patience with him and moved on without him.

Yes, it's a damn shame I can't get Calhoon to build me one of his 1/3 MOA grouping rifles with a normal bullet just 1cal bigger that every bullet manufacturer offers.

Last edited by Centerfire; 09-22-2019 at 05:14 AM.
Old 09-22-2019, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
The CZ magazine I have stated either 22H or 17H. I only have the 17H rifle. Bill K
Hello Bill,

So your saying that each magazine specifically has 17H or 22H inscribed on it?

If so, have you ever tried switching them to see if a 17 cartridge will feed out of the 22magazine into the rifle? It's hard to imagine why the slight Ackley shoulder on a 20Hornet will not feed reliably out of 22 Hornet magazine and into the barrel.

But, I think that's the problem I've been reading that folks with the 20Hornet have been having..
Old 09-22-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerfire View Post
Hello Bill,

So your saying that each magazine specifically has 17H or 22H inscribed on it?

If so, have you ever tried switching them to see if a 17 cartridge will feed out of the 22magazine into the rifle? It's hard to imagine why the slight Ackley shoulder on a 20Hornet will not feed reliably out of 22 Hornet magazine and into the barrel.

But, I think that's the problem I've been reading that folks with the 20Hornet have been having..

No, my CZ magazines don't have any size written on them, other than on the follower it says 22 Hornet, which is also used with the 17 hornt. I am just going by what CZUSA told me, that the 17 and 22 H magazines work with either.
I have not tried any 20H to see if a feeding issue exists, as I do not have a rifle in that chambering. Personally I would think any of the three would feed just fine, as they are the same other than the neck/caliber. If, one day, I actually get a 20H then I will know for sure. Bill K

Last edited by Bill K; 09-22-2019 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-22-2019, 04:01 PM

Don't know if this helps? I have number of CZ 527 magazines and the followers are marked as such. Two different magazines each follower marked in different font size "22 Hornet", some marked "22 Hor" and some current magazines marked "17/22 Hor". The oldest magazines are proably from the mid 1990's and the 17/22 Hor magazine is from 2014. To my eye they all appear the same.
Old 09-22-2019, 04:27 PM

I have two CZ 527 17 Hornets that are fairly newer-ish production years, in both, the magazine follower is marked 17/22 Hornet.

There are little tricks I've learned with my CZ 17 Hornets that help them feed much more reliable and smoother. One of mine cycles fine by using the bolt handle to feed a new round up into the chamber, but the other one won't feed a new round up into the chamber that way so after I've ejected a fired case I let go of the bolt handle and then push the bolt forward with my thumb at the back of the bolt. It'll feed 100% if I push the bolt forward with my thumb.

I've had CZ 527's in 204 and 17 Rem, both of those would feed from the mag with zero problems, I think all of the feeding issues I hear about are with the Hornets, particularly the 17 Hornet.
Old 09-22-2019, 04:50 PM

This hasn't been a problem in any of my three 22 Hornet 527's only my 2014 vintage 17 hornet Varmint. When I push the bolt slowly forward to feed a round out of the magazine the round goes off to the right and misses the chamber. It doesn't matter if I use the bolt handle or my thumb on the cocking piece to push the bolt forward. If I run the bolt slightly quicker but still fairly gently it will feed. Possibly a timing thing. There are no issues if the Calhoun single shot follower is used. I should mention that the rifles get used by a lefty.