Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-23-2014, 07:30 PM

Default Eye eye again

Just got back from hospital again annother kick in the n**s after my vitrol/blood removal from my right eye and my two caterac removal,s my sight in both eyes has detiriated so thinking i needed new specs went to my optitian who said nothing wrong with the specs you have debris in both eyes from the operations it sometimes does happen but you are unlucky to have it in both eyes but its a simple laser op to fix it so get in touch with the surgen.
I have seen him today who said good news is we can fix it but bad news is machine is broken and we are waiting for the part from Germany and its takeing so long i think its coming by donky, you are looking at a wait of 5 to 6 weeks for the appointment.

On annother track i am going retro again my first new gun was a break barrel 22 air rifle it was called a Jeely (spelling)and a exelent gun i took hundreds of rabbits.rats,crows .jackdaws and pigeons in its time and it was from the same stable as the Relun Tornado which was a underleaver gun but the internals like the piston washer spring and trigger where identical my friend had the relum and the spare parts list for them items was the same.
After about 3 years of constant use often leaving it cocked and loaded ( i know )it lost its power so tried to get a spring and failed to find the manufacter so borrowd a spring off a BSA cadet majior just to se if it was any good.
The outside dia was the same but the spring was thicker and shorter so i bought two springs and cut one down.
Oridgionaly the gun had annother spring inside but it would not go in the BSA spring so looking at the springs in the elactrical stores in work a found some that would fit but again off thicker metal.
Boy that made a powerfull gun and as long as i used Marksman pellets it woud group just under an inch at 45 yards and a milk bottle at 60yds had a small hole in the front but the back blown out.
I have just been offered a Relum Tornado that has been in somebodys atic for thirty years or more its mine for £90 and i snached his hand off i should get it this weekend i have not seen it yet but i just hope its ok and i can gft some spares for it even if its BSA spares.
Wally
Old 01-23-2014, 08:58 PM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Wally:
Sure sorry to hear about your eyes.
Apparently it's not going to create further damage to wait
on treatment to fix it. IF it was, surely he'd of sent you to
another eye surgeon.
Is that even a possibility over there with your medical coverage?
I know you're in a fix with that system in place. Might be worth
asking the first guy to make sure it won't damage your sight more
by waiting.

Once you get the "old" gun, take that spring out and measure it up.
There's places in the US to get springs made even. Lots of sources
for factory stuff too.

Thing is with a much stouter spring as you've converted to. It's very
likely to put too much strain on the internals and you may have a
blow up with things coming apart from it. Never know how well things
are made til too late. Sure would hate to hear you had some blood
drawn, or lost an eye due to parts failure.

Wish you the best, keep us updated on things.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 01-24-2014, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeld View Post
Wally:
Sure sorry to hear about your eyes.
Apparently it's not going to create further damage to wait
on treatment to fix it. IF it was, surely he'd of sent you to
another eye surgeon.
Is that even a possibility over there with your medical coverage?
I know you're in a fix with that system in place. Might be worth
asking the first guy to make sure it won't damage your sight more
by waiting.

Once you get the "old" gun, take that spring out and measure it up.
There's places in the US to get springs made even. Lots of sources
for factory stuff too.

Thing is with a much stouter spring as you've converted to. It's very
likely to put too much strain on the internals and you may have a
blow up with things coming apart from it. Never know how well things
are made til too late. Sure would hate to hear you had some blood
drawn, or lost an eye due to parts failure.

Wish you the best, keep us updated on things.
Thanks George when i resprung the old Jeely it was to get it up to its origional power but the thicker springs up-rated it as well but as you say other parts took the strain every other w/end i had to make a new washer and buffer because of damage but i was young and experimenting then and was lucky to up-rate a gun that did not lose its accuracy with more power.
This time i will be happy with the leagal limmit of 12ft/lbs and i have a Crony F1 with printer to check it out.
Years ago around 1962/3/4 the only way to find spares was to ask in local gun shops and if it was an inport that they did not sell you got s**t for an answer. there was no internet then to search on .
I seem to remember a british firm in one of the country shows called TIBBS and SON
or something like that so it should be easy to get spares .
Two years ago the estate i was rabbit shooting on seemed to have more rabbits than pheasents and on the half of the estate i could drive around we took 394 rabbits from mid Feb to end of Sept but on the other hilly part of the ground Henry took about the same but never counted them???
I used to back the landrover or Jeep into a hedge 90deg to it open the passenger window put the 17A/H on the bonnet and sit inside with the 22lr
I was 35/45yds from a good warren and 200yds from a better one on at least two occasions i took 30+ rabbits without moving except from the bonnet to drivers seat. flask of coffee sarnies and radio on low out in the country no road noise or nosy neibours and plenty of wildlife to watch.
This year i will use the same setup but with the airgun inside the cab hpoefully.
Wally