Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 07-06-2014, 03:05 AM
Supporting Member

Default Martini RF to CF conversion?

Thinking of a Martini rim fire conversion to center fire for a "rimless case".
20 VT would be nice but a 17 VHA would be even better.
Anybody had the conversion done with successful/reliable extraction on a rimless case?

Last edited by Nor Cal Mikie; 07-06-2014 at 05:05 AM.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:58 AM
Supporting Member

I've done the conversion myself using a Bob Snapp extractor, haven't had a problem with extraction (unless I push the pressure)

There would be a few gunsmiths in the US who would be capable of the conversion.

I find the rimfire actions to be thicker in the sidewall than the old 310 cadet action so like using them for centrefire conversions.........Kiwi
Old 07-07-2014, 04:44 AM
Supporting Member

Question rimfire to centerfire conversion

Usually you see someone try rimfire to centerfire rimmed conversions, or centerfire rimmed to rimless. There is a rimmed alternative to most cartridges suitable for the small Martini. Bottomline the mechanical advantage of the primary extraction system is pretty weak. When most guys ask me about rimless in a Martini I ususally suggest they go get a No1. I have had 2 rimless Martinis and neither were as reliable as any of the rimmed versions. One was a Snapp and the other was built by Jim Wasmundt. The one thing most guys seem to forget is "this rifle does not have a lot of extraction power" and it's easier to pull past a balky rimless case than a rimmed one. So you might be able to use rimless brass but it's not going to be more reliable than a rimmed version. Also factor in the rimfire to centerfire conversion.....if you want rimless make it easy on your self. Start with a Cadet, buy the Snapp extractor which is about 125.00 last time I checked and find a guy that has installed a lot of them. That will be the hardest part and don't get out of sorts when you have dumped a load into it and you still have to take your cleaning rod to the range to knock out cases.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:13 PM
Supporting Member

Thanks Guys for the information. Sounds like the "rimmed" case is the way to go on the Martini action for reliabily. Sounds like the 17 VHA on a Martini action will be a long way off. My guess is that somewhere down the line, someone will come up with a "rimmed" case for the 17 VHA??
With that in mind, how big of a round can be chambered on the Cadit action and still be reliable, extraction wise?
Now thinking about the 20 VT or even the "short" version and maybe even trying it in a necked down to 17 caliber version. Please keep the ideas and opinions coming and thanks for the insite. And the Ruger #1 may be an option. So far, it hasn't cost me anything to dream. Thanks again, Mike.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:03 AM
Supporting Member

I've heard one of Bob Snapps favourite cartridges in the Martini is the 7 x 30 Waters, seems a pretty big cartridge for the small frame Martini.
Another thing I've been told is longer cases with minimum taper are hard to get in the chamber.

I think the best cartridges for the small frame Martini are the Hornet, Bee and my favourite the 222Rem

Like this one
Old 07-10-2014, 07:36 AM

Default martini cf/rf

Australian Sporting Shooters mag (and excellent publication) had a series of articles about 25 years ago showing what could be done with a miniature martini action. The largest, in the sense of longest, that could be chambered effectively was the 5.6x50R, which I think is a DWM cartridge, and is commonly chambered in combination guns, and the brass is manufactured by several companies (S&B, DWM, RWS). The chamber was cut by running in a 223 Rem reamer a bit further, if I remember correctly.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:16 AM

Smile Martini

Quote:
Originally Posted by john View Post
Australian Sporting Shooters mag (and excellent publication) had a series of articles about 25 years ago showing what could be done with a miniature martini action. The largest, in the sense of longest, that could be chambered effectively was the 5.6x50R, which I think is a DWM cartridge, and is commonly chambered in combination guns, and the brass is manufactured by several companies (S&B, DWM, RWS). The chamber was cut by running in a 223 Rem reamer a bit further, if I remember correctly.
In australia gun smith Peter Kay can fit rimless extractors but he told me to stick to cases with a rim anything hornet works fine my 17 ackley gets 3550 fps with a 20gr bullet out of a 20 inch barrel with no extraction problems and was my main fox rifle for years (until I got a 17pee wee ) the 218 bee case is a very good choice to

Last edited by BG17; 07-10-2014 at 09:52 AM.