Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-07-2014, 02:35 PM

Default Case cleaning

I have used the tumble and vibrator style with corn cob for years, works just fine. Once in a while, if I wanted to clean and shine somewhat better, especially inside, than I would wash the case's in vinegar/water mix ( real cheap) then dry them good and go from there, as usual. I try to keep my reloading as simple as possible. Bill K
Old 09-08-2014, 04:19 PM
Supporting Member

Guy named Don Krout has written a couple of articles re: stainless steel pins, ceramic pins and different ways to polish cases. I found a big medical ultrasonic on fleabay and I'm using that after depriming. I like the idea of getting the crud out of the inside and don't see any advantage to shiny, as opposed to clean.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:42 PM

Default Barretcreek, re Don Krout articles

Barretcreek: do you have any information about where to access those Don Krout articles?
Old 09-13-2014, 02:51 AM

Lizard litter sold in pet stores..........crushed walnut hulls with the consistancy of sand. Cleans well and dosen't plug up in flash holes
Old 09-13-2014, 12:12 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mikie View Post
...watch for is peening. I've found "gold dust" in the water mix....Too often will wear your brass. And SS cleaned brass will cause bullet seating problems...You may give up easy seating for new looking brass...IMHO, picking corn cobb out of primer pockets just gives you another chance to get a "hands on" inspection of your clean brass for defects. Better to see a defect now than after you've primed the case.

I've read similar experiences from BR shooters that Michael has mentioned above where the BR shooters do not like the SS media for cleaning their brass due to the peening effects on inside case necks and slightly deforming the case mouths...negatively affecting consistent bullet seating tension. I see this as less significant if you're reloading for ARs or larger game where group size of fired rounds is not measured in hundredths of inches.

As some have mentioned, I prefer the clean/sifted corn cob or walnut shell media in my tumbler.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:39 PM

I use corn cob or walnut media for years. Prefer the corn cob because it doesn't plug up my flash holes. But I have an awful problem with the dust. It stays on the cartridge and if you don't remove it it will build up in the die. I tried car polish cut with alcohol and bit helped some but still a problem. Resorted to light alcohol bath rub over some paper towels. Any ideas?
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" John 10:10
Old 09-13-2014, 05:11 PM

260Ackley, I am using walnut but cured my dust problem by adding Rooster Bright metal polish to my media. I tumble in an old Lortone rotary rock tumbler. I add the polish to the media and run it for an hour or so WITHOUT any brass and then sift through it to eliminate any clumps. The media is then 'good to go' for several months before the dust comes back. Keep in mind that my canisters are air tight, doubt it would last very long in a ventilated vibratory tumbler.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:07 PM

If you have a dust problem from the media, tear a strip of paper towel about 1.5" widex width of the towel, and let it run around in the tumbler with the media and brass while runnig the tumbler. The dust/dirt adheres to the towel, and wipes the bowl and the media while it circulating through the media. When it gets too dirty for you, toss it and use another strip of paper towel.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:51 PM

Default Best & least expensive tumbling media

Zilla Ground English Walnut lizard litter at PETCO. Approximately $21 for 25 quarts and it is relatively dust free.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekriebles View Post
I've read similar experiences from BR shooters that Michael has mentioned above where the BR shooters do not like the SS media for cleaning their brass due to the peening effects on inside case necks and slightly deforming the case mouths...negatively affecting consistent bullet seating tension. I see this as less significant if you're reloading for ARs or larger game where group size of fired rounds is not measured in hundredths of inches.

As some have mentioned, I prefer the clean/sifted corn cob or walnut shell media in my tumbler.
I've been SS tumbling for a while and have never experienced any of these problems.
I wonder if this is just a case of "There's no school like the old school".