Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-13-2015, 12:28 AM

Default Remington long action BDL magazine dimensions

I'm changing a Rem700 ADL long action (270Win) to BDL. I want to reduce the magazine depth from the ADL length to the shorter BDL length. It is impractical to order a BDL mag from NZ (too far off the beaten track), so, I'd like to know what the dimensions of the BDL mag are so that I don't reduce the ADL mag too much. If you have a BDL long action mag handy could you drag out your calipers and give me some accurate measurements of the front and rear depths of the mag please?
Old 12-13-2015, 01:50 AM

I've got a mag box I can measure. Can you take a pic showing me what you'd like measured? I'm not sure what your wanting.

Aaron
Old 12-13-2015, 04:28 PM

I've never noticed them to be different, other than the screw hole tab to attach the magazine box to the action.

John
Old 12-14-2015, 01:10 AM

Default rem 700 bdl long mag box dimensions

Hi, I'd like to post a photo (good as a 1,000 words and all that). I've tried to negotiate the photo process for Saubier in the past, several times, and failed completely. So, no photo.
The measurements I need are of the sheet metal mag box insert. The mag sheet metal insert is the same shape for both the ADL and the BDL but it is shorter on the BDL because the BDL has bottom metal (mag door/trigger guard casting).
The ADL mag box has a small tab bent out from the mag box and this tab is screwed to the action.
The BDL mag box does not have the tab and it is shorter.
The ADL mag box is 1.430" deep at the back (where the back of the cartridge is) and the front of the ADL mag box is 1.237" deep (where the point of the bullet is).
I need to know what those measurements are on the BDL mag box. Cheers, John.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:37 PM

BDL long action mag box is 1.216 back and front EXCEPT for a notch cut on the front end.
The front is 1.154 cut back .360 from the front. Thereafter it is 1.216. Hope this helps.
Old 12-17-2015, 05:15 AM

Default bdl mag insert measurements

Thanks Hog Patrol, just what I needed. I'm surprised that the BDL mag box insert is the same depth, front and back, and the ADL mag box insert is proportionally deeper in the back. Must be some reason that I can't conceive. Well, your measurements stop me making a complete cockup of the change to BDL (at least I hope so).
I just read elsewhere that all of the BDL mag box inserts are the same depth, whatever the cartridge/action lengthl - weird and, who knows, on the internet, could even be true.