Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-08-2017, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOU View Post
(There will be several changes to the 527's in general as well...may get even more converts for those that normally have offended eyes by the magazine well & the 5 shot magazine hanging down etc.[/i] )

Are they ever going to make the safety where pushing the safety forward is to fire? I grew up on a tang safety Ruger 77 and over under shotgun and CZ safeties have always given me the willies because muscle memory is hard to unlearn. Forward equals fire in the reptilian part of my brain. I still might get a .17 Rem Varmint to help undue some of the stupidity of selling a Tikka 595 .17 because it only shot 25 grain Bergers and Rem HP with the 10 twist ( which turns out all I want to shoot anyway ) Has CZ done a new run yet of those?

I also don't see the attraction of this round in a bolt gun. Why not a 6.5 Creedmoor or Hornady or 6 X 47 Lapua?

Last edited by dimecovers3; 02-08-2017 at 02:32 AM.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:57 PM
Supporting Member

Default 6.5 Grendel

Hard to get exited about it until it gets here, reminds me of the 17HH they did. Lot of hoopla...then wait! After the initial batch arrives there will be those that are eyeballing how they perform and waiting for the prices to drop (me). On a side note, can you use 6PPC cases to form a 6.5 Grendel?
Old 02-08-2017, 05:20 PM

Default 6.5 Grendel

Yes. Just neck up and resize to create a false shoulder in the proper location. I've never actually made 6.5 Grendel but have formed 6PPC to 20 Titan.

Gary

NRA Endowment Life Member
Old 04-02-2017, 02:24 AM

Just checking in with those who have these on order.

Any word yet on when they will show up?

Curiosity is killing the cat over here
Old 04-02-2017, 10:45 AM

My LGS checked with their CZ Rep. who I trust as much as I did Hillary, he told them 30-60 days, but as I said he's not proven reliable over the years.
Old 04-02-2017, 12:50 PM
Supporting Member

Default Here in Georgia...... I've seen..

....MANY 6.5 Grendels built on CZ 7.62x39 carbines. Lothar Walther is only an hour away and supplied excellent blanks and even pre threaded barrels. However the carbine stock was still low in the comb for scope use so Kevlar/synthetic stocks were sought after as well. Now it seems CZ will be providing this round in their EXCELLENT factory barrels and in the higher comb American stock.
I built an 'American' 527 in 7.62x39 by having an extra 527 American stock, and taking the barrel off my CZ Carbine 7.62x39 and turning off the rear open sight 'bump' off in the lathe. Reassembled the parts and wound up with an American 7.62x39 with a stock that aligned just right for scope use. Stupid me sold it in a weak moment.
What I WILL SAY is that I kept wishing the barrel was a bit longer, at least 22" if not 23-24". Even the little Russian round is LOUD in a short barrel!

One last note: I heard it said (a warning?),.... It is possibly treading on 'thin ice' to try and make a 6.5 Grendel in a CZ 527 action do what the 6.5-284 does as far as velocity. Having barreled a few (and observed many others) of the 527 actions, one should observe that it is a THIN action at the front action ring. It is EASY to overtighten an action wrench to where it prevents easy removal off a barrel shank. TRYING to propell a 6.5mm bullet in a 6.5 Grendel to 260 Rem or 6.5x284 velocities could be dangerous. It's understandable that the temptation is there. Be careful!

CZ 527 'American' 7.62x39, the American stock came from a factory .221 FireBall(!), T36 scope only for targt work:

[IMG][/IMG

Last edited by Alan in GA; 04-02-2017 at 01:33 PM.
Old 06-08-2017, 05:49 AM

Picking up my CZ527 in 6.5 Grendel tomorrow. Yippee!

John
Old 06-08-2017, 10:24 AM

Congrats, still waiting on mine. Photos and impressions when you can.
Old 06-08-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnly View Post
Picking up my CZ527 in 6.5 Grendel tomorrow. Yippee!

John

Awesome, first I've heard of one actually being available. Let us know your thoughts if you get a chance.
Old 06-09-2017, 05:36 PM

Going to have to wait until next Thursday to pick it up due to a communication issue with the FFL transfer agent. But for sure it is waiting for me, just a few miles away.

Chuck Hawks (chuckhawks.com) is a coffee buddy of mine and I told him that if he ordered a sample from CZ America for a review article, I would do the testing and data summary if he wrote the final article. At first he was skeptical of the usefulness of the 6.5 Grendel, but he's recently changed his after he determined how well the ballistics stacked up with the 250 Savage and 6.5x54mm MS factory ammo.

John