Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-16-2021, 01:50 PM
Supporting Member

I have fire formed hundreds of 17 AH cases with 4 grains of Unique under enough paper towel to fill the case below the neck. This seemed to form the case nearly completely. Downunder I believe you need to add another 0 in front of the 9. Surely hour head space is not 90 thou. long.
Old 09-17-2021, 02:03 PM

Default fireforming

I've done lots of fireforming and my experience has been very positive.
The photo is 243Lapua brass being fireformed to 243Ackley
I've done the same practice with 22-250 to make 22-250Ackley,
Used this for 20PPC ... 20BR....20BR Improved

I use 700X powder in every caliber, cream of wheat poured level with top of the case, compressed with an allen tool that fits the neck as tight as possible and compressed to the base of the neck, a pinch of polyester fiber fill which is rolled between wet fingers and stuffed into the neck. I then use that allen tool to compress it down flush with the top of the neck.

Powder charges are started low and worked up while watching for pressure signs on the primer flatness/cupping. While fireforming, the barrel can get warm, so I shoot 5 or 6 rounds every 10 minutes usually in my backyard into a post hole to muff the blast.

(((((( Here in Alberta, covid is at a very bad level with hospitals at near collapse based on local news. The government is pushing for everyone to get vaccinated with incentives like $100 gift certificates and loto draws. Personally I havn't been vaccinated. The vaccine is not mandatory to the public. However, many other companies, schools and business's have made it mandatory. The noose is tightening with none vacineers not being allowed into public places.
My wife is 24 year RN (registered nurse) has handed-in her resignation. "Time will tell what to do" ))))))
Old 09-17-2021, 11:29 PM
Supporting Member

Whoa, dogie..... Charley nailed it..........

When I read the OP's first post and saw the reference to using pistol powders for fire forming, my mind immediately took a left turn and all I saw was someone forming 17 HH brass from 22 Hornet brass which is what I was referring to with my reference of using 9.0 grains of Unique when I formed hard to find 17 HH brass from 22 Hornet brass several years ago. My bad.

If you already have 17 HH brass, trim the length if needed, load the brass up with a good stiff load of an appropriate rifle powder topped with your chosen bullet and pushed by a scarce primer to make it all happen, and go kill something.

You can buy a box of factory ammo and shoot it in your rifle and the shoulder might move 0.002" simply based on your rifle chamber. And neither you or what you kilt will know the difference. Don't overthink things. You completely drove this old man with apparently poor reading comprehension into the ditch doing so.

Sheesh......

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 09-19-2021, 03:13 AM

For me the price of powder/primer is also a factor, so when fire-forming I just load a bullet and use a forming load. It might not be full power but it will get the job done and I end up with a formed case. I have some respectable scores from matches shot with forming loads.

For the price in components of forming a bunch of brass, I would look into getting a hydro-die. These work well in most situations and save you components, wear on match barrels, trips to the range, etc...

Old 09-19-2021, 03:15 PM

I've never fire formed a case using the method described but would like to try this out.

Is the point of using a fast pistol powder so you don't have to use a higher charger of rifle powder?

Could you accomplish the same fire forming by using a lesser charge of rifle powder?
Old 09-19-2021, 03:59 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimreed1948 View Post
I've never fire formed a case using the method described but would like to try this out.

Is the point of using a fast pistol powder so you don't have to use a higher charger of rifle powder?

Could you accomplish the same fire forming by using a lesser charge of rifle powder?
Small charges of rifle powders have a far worse reputation for detonating in a cartridge case than does small charges of fast burning pistol powders.

That said, Blue Dot has been nasty in some instances when used for forming purposes. Others who have used it love it even for reduced velocity rifle loads.

Do your homework before just jumping into the pool.

-BCB

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 09-19-2021 at 04:01 PM.
Old 09-19-2021, 04:53 PM

Without getting too picky, fast pistol powders spike the pressure high with a short spike in the pressure curve. Rifle powders don't spike so high but burn with a longer pressure curve. You want the fast pistol powder to blow out the shoulders quickly, to make the case form more fully.
Old 09-19-2021, 06:02 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan View Post
Without getting too picky, fast pistol powders spike the pressure high with a short spike in the pressure curve. Rifle powders don't spike so high but burn with a longer pressure curve. You want the fast pistol powder to blow out the shoulders quickly, to make the case form more fully.
Definitely this too. ^^^^^^^^^^

Its the physics and the nuts and bolts as to why pistol powders work so well with the benefit of a lesser chance of something going boom.

-BCB