Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-15-2008, 01:55 AM

Default Reloading At The Range

Does any one reload at the range and if so, what press are you using. I am looking at Harrells and Huntingtons Compac Tool.
Any opinions would be great.
Brett
Old 05-15-2008, 02:31 AM

Default Reloading at the range

Brett,

I use a K & M arbor press with Wilson hand dies and Harrells powder measure. Works well for me and the setup is pretty compact.

Good luck,
Gary
Old 05-15-2008, 02:42 AM

99% of the time i load at the range . Primarily for load development or just shooting paper. I only load at home when i know my desired load and/or I will have limited time to shoot at the range.

i load 5-7 rounds w/ my Jones powder measurer and Wilson dies. shoot 1 fouler and then shoot a group over the Oehler 35P and my wind flags.

this serves 2 purposes; one to confirm velocity (SD) and the other to confirm group size. tweak the load or bullet depth and shoot again. once my accuracy load is established, i can shoot groups for fun w/out the Oehler.

i use the Hood press as pictured below when i have to FL and bump the shoulder.

the hood press will allow you to use both threaded dies and wilson hand dies.

extremely compact and stores in my ammo box. I paid $200 used like new 10 yrs ago.

wilson hand dies are so simple to use at the range

cb <*)))>{

www.raginblaze.com .... Cajun Seasoning with a SouthWest Flare
Old 05-15-2008, 02:44 AM
Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to larryinIA
Default I have been thinking

about bolting a lee classic press and powder measure to a piece of plywood, and clamping it down to the bench on the opposite side that i shoot from. I have been wondering about the scale, wind, and so on. I think you would just about have to have the scale in a box, to prevent the wind from messing with it.

I wonder....

larry

American King James Version
Let his days be few; and let another take his office
Old 05-15-2008, 04:00 AM

I bought an RCBS Partner Press exclusively for the purpose of reloading at the range. When it's not at the range, it serves as a handy 2nd press at home...like to hold a bullet puller, etc. Having this small ram press especially makes more sense for those of us that are already set up with an array of standard 7/8" dies. You buy a couple of C clamps, and bring a small square of 1/2"-3/4" scrap plywood to fasten the press to the table. (You place the plywood scrap piece underneath the table to give the clamp something firm to grip onto.) It's really quite portable and fast to set up.

Got to Office Max, or Office Depot and get you one of their solid rectangular folding tables.....the kind with the steel brown frame and legs and simulated wood top that you find at most auditoriums, cafetarias, offices, etc. Don't go for light! You don't want a flimsy square card tabe that will be rocking back and forth, or tip over. Buy you a short folding stool too at Walmart too, as folding aluminum lawn chairs don't get you up close to the table when you're working.

....AND....bring an empty cardboard box with you to have a place to set the scale inside of. The box will provide a breeze free envirnment for the scale, so the balance beam isn't blowing up and down the whole time.

Other then worrying about somebody stealing your stuff when you're busy shooting, you're all set!
Old 05-15-2008, 10:58 AM
Supporting Member

I load at the range also. I have a Harrel press and powder measure. I set the minimum measure setting at home and go up from there and don't use a scale. I FL size every time and bump shoulders back .001" on every sizing. I seat with a Wilson die. The harrel press is a copy of the Hood. Once you find the load for your gun, write EVERYTHING down.

Mike
Old 05-15-2008, 12:45 PM

Loading at the range is better than sliced bread! K&M arbor press and Wilson dies for seating, Harrel's press for sizing, and Harrel's powder measure. I figure my powder settings at home (within the range I intend to use) and voila! Shoot 'em over my Oehler and try not to shoot my flags. It's all about the instant feedback, load 3 and shoot. If they don't, move along to another load, adjust seating depth, etc. And as vmthtr in Green Bay says, "write EVERYTHING down!"

Hank
Old 05-15-2008, 03:47 PM

Hey Brett, keep it simple and inexpensive (well, somewhat anyway). I have a Lee Breech Lock Challenger Press. The street price is around $45, made out of aluminum for easy portability, large and strong enough to do most all calibers not just BR size, and if you take more then one cal. to the range the quick change bushings can be pre setup to make it a breeze to change at the bench. This is a major plus if you find yourself under threat of rain and time to finish that last group is short. You can see that press here: http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/cata.../rlpress1.html Balance beam scales and the great outdoors are a match made in hell in my opinion. The best setup is a GOOD powder measure that can repeat its settings reliably. Mine is a Herrell's but others will probably work. Here is how it goes. You will probably have test ammo already loaded at home to save time. These loads you will probably have used a balance beam scale to assemble. Convert the charge weight to clicks for a baseline. When you get to the range adjust your load, up or down, with the powder measure until you have your load. Remember to note down how many clicks you end up with at the range so you can convert it to weight when you get back home. This can all be fastened to a piece of wood then C clamped to a bench at the range. Good luck. Paul
Old 05-15-2008, 05:32 PM
Supporting Member

Russ Haydon of Russ Haydon's Shooters' Supply out in Gig Harbor, WA makes a nice arbor press and handles the Wilson dies that I use in mine too. I believe his press sells for $97.50 at the present time. Here's a link to his Web site and there is a hyperlink in there where you can click and a photo of the press shows up:

http://www.shooters-supply.com/clean...nce_equip.html

I don't reload at the range, but I'm sure his arbor press would work just fine. It is a real heavy apparatus and adjustable for different die heights too. Here are a couple photos of mine.

Height adjustment Allen Screw and wrench.

Base insert view.

NRA Life Member
Old 05-15-2008, 06:31 PM

Loading at the range works great. I use a Sinclair arbor press for Wilson dies and a RCBS Partner press for threaded dies, Harrells powder measure. If you want to go the combo presses, they work great too.

Mark Schronce