Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-05-2008, 04:30 AM

Default mk11 hornet extractor

Kiwishooter: care to put up a pix of your extractor? Who did the work on your conversion? Any problems with the conversion? What sort of pluses have you had other than the much better MkII trigger?
Old 10-05-2008, 02:47 PM

I'm not going to do any of the work on this rifle myself--I just don't have the tools or the space for it--but it's great to hear all of these little details about some of the issues in working up Martinis.

I'm going to give Snapp's Gun Shop a call tomorrow and start working out some of the details. I still have to figure out what kind of wood to use and whether or not to drill for a cleaning rod (I'm not afraid to clean from the muzzle with a decent bore guide).

Right now, I'm thinking of a really light rifle that handles like one of those bottom eject Browning .22s like my Dad had when I was a kid.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:26 AM
Supporting Member

Photo's of MkII International 22 Hornet extractor. The only problem with using the MkII for a centrefire is the cases seem to disappear, that extractor throws them a long way.
Not sure who did the work but it has been done pretty well, I would have made the firing pin a bit smaller in diameter.

Old 10-08-2008, 12:18 PM

Thanks for posting picts of the MKII International centerfire conversion. Not much info around on this particular type of conversion; hopefully I am not too far out of place with my posting, but this particular MKII International topic is not that prevalent.

I have a friend that has a 222 type case on that MKII International action. He made the rimless extractor from scratch, which I thought was most amazing. He seems to have a way with metal and has the heavy experience. I am under the impression that he did not have success the first time out.......:-)........but has it working now. I have read that Snapp has a rimless extractor for the cadets.

I worked with a left hand MKII International a few years ago. I wanted a hornet type centerfire, but after much fussing/thinking, I finally went with the easiest way out, the 17HM2 rimfire. I put on a Shilen blank and it shoots/works ok. Anyone that has done a No.1 or a pre64 model 70, knows that extra work is in store on the barrel shank, the MKII is a bit moreso in my opinion. The MKII has the two beveled sides of the shank that match the ejector bevels, the the case is recessed, and a firing pin relief is there at 6 oclock. All has to be a fairly nice fit, as one wants to keep the supported chamber edges. I thought about a 17HMR but could not come to grips with the thickness of some lip dimensions of the ejector and its width/bevels.

When I looked at the hornet type application, I thought it would work ok, as the widening of the fork dimensions/surfaces and the bevel of the ejector would have enough meat for my intentions. The ejector metal seems pretty hard to me, so one might have to use carbide tooling for the ejector touching. Guess the beveled sides of the shank would still have to be there if using the extractor slightly modded, not sure now(been a while) about the chamber type, fully supported or not. Then of course, is the firing pin movement and possible rebush. Guess one could grind the lifting arm down(not my favorite, just my opinion) or do a firing pin movement ala DeHass type technique, but the MKII firing pin is fairly small in diameter so the pin at the side of the firing pin circle is right close. One might ponder just a new pin from scratch, in a new location, with a new breechblock hole bush, and smaller fiing pin nose.

Of course, just dreaming/thinking along. This has been on my mind for a while, a nice centerfire martini of some kind, whether a cadet type or a MK International type. I have only considered the internationals for this type of conversion that have the threaded receiver for their barrels, not too sure on how things would be with the MKIII's etc.

Fairly rare conversion I think, you are lucky to see such, much less have one.

Rick W.

I wonder if a made up extractor similar to a cadet rimfire would help out the spreading of the forks? The extractor would have to be a close fit for case support, but would feature heavier "forks". As you can tell, not thought about a heavier ejector much.

Certainly is true about the MKII rimfire ejector, it is spring loaded, and really flings them.