Old 10-11-2008, 01:47 AM
Supporting Member

Default Lapua Will Resume Production of .222 Rem Brass

Just read this news.

http://accurateshooter.net/bulletin.html
Old 10-11-2008, 03:01 AM

Default Thats great news!!!!

I was bummed when I first heard that Lapua had chosen to discontinue
making .222 brass. The supply dried up pretty quick too.Glad we will be able to get it again.This time I will get a bunch of it,as I have a few wildcats that could use it.
Matt
Old 10-11-2008, 03:04 AM
Supporting Member

Great to hear. Will be nice for my future .17 javelina project. Because of the accuracy and barrel life a 222 is always a consideration for prairie dogs.
Old 10-11-2008, 05:05 AM
Supporting Member

I have heard that the original Lapua 222 brass sucked. Apparantly it was farmed out like their old 223 brass. Good to see this stuff will be made in-house like the new 223 cases. Now if they would just make 221 cases.............
Old 10-11-2008, 01:17 PM

Yeah, I can confirm that the old 222 Lapua brass sucked. It was about equivalent to the Win 222 brass that I bought after that. It'd be especially nice if they went to the small flash hole. They resisted the pressure to make the 223 brass with the small flash hole, but they might feel like they have a little more freedom with the 222.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:12 PM

What is the difference between the small rather than the large flash hole? Apart from one being small etc.

I use Winchester and Lc with the large holes and ADI with the small holes. I didnt know until I bent a depriming pin or two.

Jeff
Old 10-12-2008, 12:49 PM

There's a fairly strong belief that the smaller flash holes result in more consistent ignition and allow you to run higher pressures with less risk of a failure around the primer. I've seen a lot of anecdotal evidence and the occasional limited test that support the belief, but I've seen a roughly equal amount that state that it makes no difference. Who wants to spend all of that time and money to test something they can't really change?

When Lapua first announced the 6.5x47, the sample cases sent out had the large flash hole. Apparently they got a lot of feedback that they should use a small flash hole. Supposedly they went back and did some additional testing and then released the case with the small flash holes. However, I haven't seen even a hint of what Lapua found in their testing.

Fact or fiction? Beats me. I just follow the crowd on this one. I know that when a batch of 30 American brass pops up (a limited run of 30-30 Federal brass with a small flash hole), it disappears in a hurry.