Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2009, 05:20 AM

I admit to knowing almost nothing about this stuff, but i've been kinda' wondering if anyone's ever thought of making 14 cal. bullets for the HM2 or HMR case from rimfire cases?? Velocity would be down, maybe better terminal ballistics downrange...?
Old 02-10-2009, 03:27 PM

Default 14 bullets from rimfire

I suppose if you wanted to do that much work you could size them down, but they are really not suited tensile wise for the 14's. They wouldn't be able to withstand much velocity in one of the fast twist barrels. I cussed the J4's for being so tough to size until I realized that the caliber needed it.

Jackets are the toughest part of making 14 bullets. They have to be as perfect as you can make them in your sizing operations. J4's are as good as they claim, even though they are a pain in the butt to work.

There may be a couple of what I call experimenters out there that have done this, I know Frank Brakefield is sizing down rilmfire cases and seating 14's on them. He has made some really small bullets too.

russ
Old 02-21-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotterlg View Post
I have dies made and a barrel mounted in an H&R Handi rifle for a 14HMR. Only thing that is holding me up is finding light weight .14 cal bullets, best I can do is the 15gr Genco's and I need to find 10's or 8's for the 10 twist barrel I have. That could also be an issue for you because you will not be able to drive them very fast with the mach2. If you have any sources for light .14 bullets please let me know. Larry

Please excuse my ignorance on this, but are you pulling bullets from live rimfire ammo to get the cases for reloading, or is there somewhere you can purchase primed cases?