Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2009, 03:18 PM

Default .17 Rem bullets for fox and coyote

New guy here with a new .17 Rem ta boot!

I'm having a hard time picking a bullet. I'm mainly going to be going after fox and coyote. I've heard that the 30 gr. Gold's are the cats meow and others argue that the 25 gr. Match Berger is the best route.

I want a bullet that is going to enter with a pin hole and leave no exit. Most all of my shots are going to be under 250 yards, but would like a bullet for more yardage for the ocasional woodchuck or crow hunt I go on.

The biggest fear I have is blowing a big hole in a fox or getting splash.

Should I use the 30 gr. golds and reduce the load to 3,500 or so or use the 25 gr. Bergers and keep my speeds around 3,700-3,800? Any load suggestions?

On top of this, I've heard people complain that their bullet disentigrates sometimes?????

Please explain as much as you can!

P.S. Our fox here average about 8-12 lbs. Coyotes average about 30 lbs.

Last edited by Dooger; 02-24-2009 at 03:37 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:55 PM

If you decide you want to go with 25 gn for fox, you might consider slowing it down. Lighter, faster bullets don't necessarily mean a smaller crater.

I like the 30 gn for coyotes, but still, they are tough animals. I've seen them take a chest shot and and run off a ways and die, or just dump right there in their tracks. It just depends on the hit.

I will say that the 30 gn boat tails are really flat shooting though.

On predatormasters.com, their forum has some experienced fox hunters and their are varying opinions of 25's vs 30's. So, I don't think there are any hard and fast rules, except perhaps in bullet placement. You might try reading some of their posts.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:56 PM

Hey Dooger,

Welcome aboard. I use a 30 in the 17 Rem, and my 17-204, on both coyote, and fox. I use a 27gr in the MachIV. I've had great results on our Michigan critters. Exits are rare on coyotes, and splashes have not been an issue as long as you don't try slamming one right into a shoulder knuckle.

On fox, most of our shots seem to be facing on, and even the thirties don't cause too much damage most of the time. On broadsides, or smaller animals, your gonna get an occasional big exit. But nothing you shoot will ever be 100% perfect. (Besides, in these tough economic times it don't hurt to support the guys at the dental floss factory with a little occasional business )

I shot an average sized male fox at about 200 yards a couple of weeks ago. He was sitting, facing us, and I hit him right between the front legs with the 27gr Mach IV, at 3790 fps (Muzzle) Pinprick in, nothing out, very squishy inside!

Later -John
Old 02-24-2009, 07:06 PM

Thanks so far guys!

I talked to Todd Kindler today to order a "Sensational Seventeens" manual and he gave me some more insight.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:10 PM

I had great luck with 25 g bullets at 3000-3200fps, but that is on fox. I only had fox to shoot at so I was not worried about full power loads. I did shoot one med sized cross with the 17 rem at 4000fps and blew the sh#@ out of it. I slowed it down and never had any issues. At that speed it was great out to around 225.

I love the old 25g Starke rpvb, no exits and dogs that rattle when you pick them up.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:14 PM

My experiences mimic John's above. I've used 2 17 Rem. Model 7's and a custom XP-100 17 MachIV that's now a 17 Fireball (same thing really for practical hunting purposes). I'm good to about 300 yds. +/- with the 17's and the heavier bullets (29's and 30's) out of either cartridge. All this is coyote results (a couple bobcats and badgers), no fox, though we did shoot a couple swift fox many years ago with a buddies 17 Rem. and blew 'em up (mucho sewing put them back together again...sort of).

IMO, the 17's r the best fur hunting cartridges i've ever used, tho my old 22-250 AI's and 40 gr. bullets would come very close.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:17 AM

Shot a grey dog fox, about 15lbs, with the .17 fireball 20gr Bt bullet. Small entrance wound and small exit wound. Distance 230 yds through the lungs side to side. Ran about 40 feet and keeled over.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:22 AM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter
Default pretty bloody

most of these critters were shot with a 17 cal., 17 rem, 17 ah and 17 viper.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...t=fdfd33c1.pbw
and these wer shot with 6mm, 20 and those that aren't marked are 17 cal.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...t=480d7979.pbw
17 rem model 7 and sako 17 rem.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...t=00334c1e.pbw
fox shot with h&r ultra varminter 17 rem. big coyote shot sako 17 mach 4
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...t=09bfb610.pbw

for close in calling a 17 bullet ar about 3000-3200 is perfect, for further out the bullet needs to hit at no more than 3000-3200 fps unless it is placed in the soft spot at the base of the throat head on.
i have had good luck with 20 gr vmaxes on side to side at 4000 fps from a 17 rem on fox at 50 yards but the shot has to be spot on, no room for error, high or low and forget head shots.
someone here suggested the head shot so i went out and tried it, not a good ides, 17 ah 20 gr vmax..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...0things/47.jpg
Old 02-28-2009, 08:05 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Swift Fox have been on the endangered list in CO for many yrs.

bob, you have any pics like that from the vr?
I'd like to see the damage if any those do.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"

Last edited by georgeld; 03-03-2009 at 04:33 AM. Reason: typo's
Old 02-28-2009, 01:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

so far no damage to show on fox sized critters, pin hole in and no exit.
except on crows and squirrels, lol there is no difference betweeen the 17 v-raptor and the 17 ah as far as destruction goes.

g-hog shot with 17vr.